Ford Transit Connect Forum

Dog-Friendly Accessories/Modifications?

rfkavanagh

I haven't bought my TC yet, but I'm planning to buy a LWB Wagon in the next 2-3 months (hoping to find a good end-of-year deal), and was wondering if anyone had made any dog-friendly modifications to the rear or had any recommendations for accessories.  I have two dogs, but they're small (only 15-20 lbs each).  I like the idea of them having plenty of room to roam in the back, but I also want them to be safe and don't want them to go flying through the windscreen in the event of an accident.  (I'm also still torn between taking out the second- and third-row seats to get use of the full cargo area vs. just keeping the seats flat and installing a floor above them.)  Anyone have any thoughts or success stories/cautionary tales (tails)?!  Thanks!

I've just got my TC last week and it's primary purpose will be for hauling my dog.  I can only recommend that you use a crate.  The crate should be fastened down securely as well.  Right now, because of the new TC, her crate is not fastened down yet and I hate traveling with her.

There are some horrific pet restraints on the market and there are no mandated testing standards for them.  Some were tested a few years ago and resulted in extremely serious "injuries" to the test dummy dogs.  The worst one resulted in decapitation of the dog. 

http://www.centerforpetsafety.org/test-results/harnesses/2013-harness-crash-test-videos/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/10/pet-restraints-may-be-inadequate-in-a-crash/index.htm

Also, as a first responder to auto accidents, we have, over the years seen pets get loose after an accident. We've also seen them killed in accidents.  The worse, is when a dog has to be killed in order to provide assistance to trapped or injured patients.  We make every attempt not to, but it has been required on a few occasions.

Hopefully as I get my mods started this year I'll post some of them.

Nothing more heartbreaking than to have to shoot a dog, who is only doing what is right in protecting it's master, in order to render medication attention to the pet owner.  

I've seen the scenario.  Person with shortness of breath and chest pains calls 911.  First responders are met by a protective canine who won't let you near it's master.  

• 5 months later...

Didn't realize just how long it had been since I posted this - sorry for not responding sooner!  I finally took the plunge and bought my TC at the end of December, and I just today got around to taking out the rear seats and creating the Puppalace in the back.  I've been using a smaller 30" crate for the last couple of months, bungee-corded in place on the laid-flat seats, but now they'll have much more room and available height, while still being safe (the new 42" crate is also bungee-corded in place, attached to the tie-downs in the floor).  

I'd never even heard of or thought of the idea of pets preventing medics from getting to their owner in the event of an accident and having to be restrained, or even killed.  Good to know, but just the thought of it also completely freaked me out  - thanks for that...  ;) 

IMG_1885.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_1890.JPG

• 4 months later...

Looking to do the same, it looks great... but... wire crates will never withstand a crash and the bungee cords will not hold.  Check out Impact Crates or East Coast Crates.  Also Cabela's sells dog kennels and tie downs that have been crash tested.  Cabellas kennels are plastic which will hold more heat or cold, the metal ones are actually better for climate control.  Their tie downs should work with anything.

I bought a really pricey Gunner kennel a few weeks ago but it was just too heavy and not portable at all. My dogs also got too hot inside it even when placed in air conditioning (they were panting heavily when I let them out). These crates literally trap heat from the inside regardless of the ambient temp. I returned it and got a refund for these 2 reasons. If anyone has a lightweight portable and stronger solution then the standard fold up wire crates, I'd love to see it. Unfortunately it seems most of us are stuck with wire crates or tethering our dogs in a harness to an anchor point in the vehicle.