Ford Transit Connect Forum

Considering Transit Connect - Gen 1

Been hemming and hawing a while, need a small van. 

Gen 2 vehicles are not for me.

- SWB has no cargo room with seats up - 18" from rear setback to door.

- LWB cannot get config I "need" - seats 4/5, tumble seats, windows all around.  The three-row seating like the Titanium "fold flat" kill any load height, and I can't see them supporting large, dense things I will need to carry.  2017 says LWB w/two row seating will be available to fleet only.  Ecoboost is a thing of the past.

- That and I'd like the Ecoboost engine. 

All in all, the options matrix has no matches for my uses.

Enter the search for a good used Gen 1 TC... 

Needs:

- Glass all round - (what is that called, anyway? The best search match I get is "XLT Premium", though that misses some, and adds some that are panel, not glass).  The wife WILL NOT drive ANYthing with "poor rear visibility".  No glass,  no go.  Simple.

- Engine and trans are an easy choice - only one e/t imported.  A bit underpowered, and short a couple gears.  Facts I cannot change.

Information needed.  

- Heard "stories" of a higher-than-usual auto trans failure rate. Well...

- Primary areas of rust concern.  Most auto-auctions in my area get cars from PA auctions.  Lower edge of the rust belt.  Where do the TC vehicles give up to the rust monster first?  The MB/Freightliner/Dodge Sprinter vans (and variants) look great, but are rust buckets.  Am I going to lose the body before engine/transmission go?

- What are the "problem areas" in the vehicle?  Heard TPMS is a real PITA, and a VERY limited choice of tires and pressures.  I know Ford Rangers are "constantly" setting off CEL with a reported gas-cap leak.  No one can ever find the emissions leak...

- What else has been problematic with these vehicles?

Separation of cargo and people...

Not needed if one is not planning any emergencies.  (meant to be a joke...)

A solid bulkhead is not useful for my needs.

Normally, I would travel with 2, 3, or 4 people total - driver included.

Sometimes the work will require the load to utilize some of the space required when one side, or the other, or both of the rear seats tumbled.

My thought is to use flexible aircraft-type nylon webbing as the separator - with two rows of top-mounted attachment points, (behind front seats, behind rear seats) two sets of floor attachments, and a top and bottom attachment set that would run between the split rear seat, so I could use either the wide or narrow section of rear seat. That would give me flexibility to use all, part of the rear seat, or tumble both rear seat sections.

I currently have a 2012 in my sights - XLT Premium with backup sensors.  We'll see...

frank

Edited by kxrf
Speling

Welcome, kxrf. Here are some of the answers I can supply. Other forum members can supply other answers....

"Higher" then usual auto trans failure rate-Wrong, no problem there.

Rust concerns-Not to worry, no signs of rust from any forum members. We also have forum members from the European Union (EU) that have been driving Trans Connects for years longer then we have in the United States, no rust issues.

No TPMA issues, although the choice of tire choices keeping with the correct load rating is small. Plenty of forum entries on what is available.

As forum member mrtn has written, the first generation Transit Connect was a real workhorse (and he should know, being from the EU and owning multiple high millage Transit Connects).

Good luck with your search.

This vehicle has the First Gen Focus engine/transmission combo, auto only for the US. The failures are probably related to higher weight/towing and the resulting extra stress on the drive train. Not sure what you mean by very limited selection of tires/pressures? It's pretty standard and widely available: 195/65R15 or 205/65R15, you can also go size up 205/60R16 without losing ride comfort and wheel bearings. The pressure is 2.4 bar which is rather high but necessary. Most Ford/Volvo/Jaguar wheels fit. Not as many available as for Asian cars (114.3x5) but not bad either.

Rust is not an issue. I live in the rust belt and there was no other rust than rocker panels during the 10 years of ownership of my 2006 cargo van. Mine had no mud flaps so that "helped". The body is zinced so every stone chip will result in a white oxide spot which will protect the metal for years before turning into rust. 

There are some central locking issues reported for this model, mine also was a bit funky that way.

Still have the 2012 passenger van, will probably replace in a couple of years.

Having just bought a well used 2012 and it having a motor and tranny with 179k it's on the hoist now getting a used focus engine with 7k on it and the tranny will be rebuilt. The engine had a bad valve and the used engine replacement was $600 delivered with a warranty so should have no issues with worn injectors or timing chain etc. The difference in time to just fix the head vs engine replacement was two more hours and the engine was $200 more than just getting the head replaced. Lot of replacement engines around because of winter accidents. Big yard outside of Duluth that collects the bodies at the bottom of the hill in Duluth after snow and ice storms.

Having seen the underbody in person I did not notice any rust yet.

Hope to have it on the road late this week.

Thanks all, for the replies.  

mrtn - 103West- stated tires within the correct load range is of limited choice - which is pretty much what I found looking at TireRack.

I read here resetting TPMS was akin to a voodoo ritual - known only by the high-priests at some dealerships - devices/magnets/three-times around the car with the back doors open to Jupiter but only under a new moon. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. but not Beep-Beep. This will be my second vehicle with TPMS.  In contrast to what I've read about resetting the TC TPMS system after say - tire rotation, the VW counts tire rotations using the ABS sensors - no devices/transmitters/batteries in the tires, (low pressure in tire makes tire rotate faster at same road speed) and reset is pressing the button in the glove box at pressures you and your tire manufacturer choose for the tire/rim/loading situation - not a fixed PSI baked into the computer.  Seems if non-stock rims on the TC with +1 or +2 tire set, one is asking for the TPMS light to be on most of the time.  The last time I ran auto manufacturer's pressures on new tires, I almost made it out of the parking lot before returning and asking the manager WTF is with these tires?  Stock pressures.  Oh?  Run what the TIRE manufacturer recommends.  Oh. That solved that.   Don't mind me, I just dislike "nanny" devices that take my well thought out decisions out of my hands.

Not sure where I heard of trans problems - good to put that at rest - I'm not too hard on the vehicles - though I do carry nearly 1K lbs around with me all the time. Got something now running well with 250k miles and original clutch.  I've owned two auto trans cars, and the trans was the first thing to go - and both forced me to sell off the cars.  So I'm not looking forward to the auto - but if it is reliable, all will be well.

No mud-flaps=less rust?  Did I read that right, mrtn? 

Now that Labor Day is over, I can start getting to the bottom of my targeted 2012 passenger van.

thanks again

frank

First things first: mudlaps would prevent the rocker panel rust as there's no constant spray of road debris.

You're correct, there is a load rating, higher (95) for the van and 91 or 93 (can't recall, I just always bought 95 for the tires to be rotatable between the cars) for the passenger van. I usually bought Kleber Dynaxer HP3 XL, a quality product for €45 a piece (I see some shops offer it for €37, which is ridiculous). Probably not available in the US.

The TPMS enforcement in the US is weird. ABS system has the same function free, as you mentioned, not as precise, yes, but still. Much less hassle and extremely reliable.

As a Gen 2 owner and having driven the Gen 1. If the absolute height is the issue then your answer is the Gen 1 .  The Drive ability of the Gen 2 is better .       The  brakes on the Gen 2 are much better . The seats will take any load the TC can handle folded flat . Removing the third seat take under an hour .    I have 2 sets of wheels winter and summer the tpms is no issue.   The Vehicle rust issue is definitely dependent on where the TC does most of its miles. mrtn is correct about the mud, slush  and salt spray, good flaps are very important.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, pulled the trigger on a 2013 XLT Premium (wagon) yesterday (9/22/16), flew down to Atlanta to take possession and drove it back to DC same day.  15,900 miles as it sits.

Drivability is surprisingly good - much better than I expected, actually.  Over the two full tanks I ran through with the cruise set at 70, I ended up 25.7 mpg. Not a big fan of automatics, but this behaved remarkably well, with the occasional "forced" downshift if I pushed the go pedal a bit too far.  Handling, it felt very planted. Less roll than I was anticipating.  Still sorting out the Sync system - Let's just say it's not how I would have written the documentation, but...

Overall, I'm quite pleased.  First vehicle  bought online, sight unseen.  Ford Certified, used.  How bad could it be? No problem with MD inspection.

Rearview camera is cool, mirrors are more than acceptable, but I do miss an outdoor temp gauge. (sigh) 

Add a couple cargo restraint points, and a "torpedo net" and I'll be good to go.

On September 6, 2016 at 9:09 AM, G B L said:

As a Gen 2 owner and having driven the Gen 1. If the absolute height is the issue then your answer is the Gen 1 .  The Drive ability of the Gen 2 is better .       The  brakes on the Gen 2 are much better . The seats will take any load the TC can handle folded flat . Removing the third seat take under an hour .    I have 2 sets of wheels winter and summer the tpms is no issue.   The Vehicle rust issue is definitely dependent on where the TC does most of its miles. mrtn is correct about the mud, slush  and salt spray, good flaps are very important.

Test drove a Gen 2 SWB and thought it really nice.  Cargo in the SWB is not enough if I carry two passengers.  LWB passenger, the seats and the awkward two-step liftover onto the folded seats and the loss of height made that a non-starter.  As much lifting in and out, that additional stretch would have me renting a room at my Chiropractor.  Ideally, a LWB, 5-seater, tumble second row, no third row and the 1.6 turbo engine would be just about perfect. I hear fleet ops will be offered the 5-seater option in 2017.  As it is, I like the look of the old one better - the new ones are more refined looking, the old ones cuter, and more utilitarian looking. Like the original Scion Xb, it was so ugly, it was cute.  They "fixed" the styling, and now it's just boring and ugly.  No distinction. 

I'll definitely be fitting some Ford flaps before the weather turns...

Sounds  like you have the car you wanted.  The Taxi version of the LWB  has only two seats now, I suspect the fleet version will be the same. Make sure the flaps are long enough and extend into the wheel well far enough to be effective .

55 minutes ago, 103west43rd said:

Welcome kxrf. Good choice on choosing the first generation Transit Connect. There is a wealth of information in this forum on the first generation with postings back to 2009 starting with the 2010 model year. Enjoy finding out about your "new" vehicle!

Been reading up - this forum for the last month or so.  Thanks for all you've shared!

1 hour ago, G B L said:

Sounds  like you have the car you wanted.  The Taxi version of the LWB  has only two seats now, I suspect the fleet version will be the same. Make sure the flaps are long enough and extend into the wheel well far enough to be effective .

Anything you recommend other than the Ford flaps?

The ones I have, I Fabricated .  They are low to the ground and extend inward at least 12".  The Material I used is a Rubber belt material. Flexible and Rugged.  The Road Debris comes off the bottom of the tire and hits the Rocker panel over a foot behind the wheel.  Find a Dirt road in The Vast wilderness outside of DC  on a Rainy  day Take a drive and look at the Spatter.  You will be able to put a straight edge from the wheel to the rocker and see how low the flap needs to go.   Any thing less will not do the job.