Ford Transit Connect Forum

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

• 2 years later...

Hello all, just picked up a 2014 TC xlt for my business.

Early morning warm ups have those darn DLR's shining at my neighbors windows (he no like). I've also driven in the dark not aware the tail lights are not lit.

I've read this thread a few times and I must say it's a bit tough to follow with all the different model years and modifications guys are talking about.

My question is simply this, Has anyone found a way to turn the DLR's off on a 2014 without going to a dealer?

I would really like to disable this feature!

Thanks and cheers,

JAM

On 10/11/2017 at 9:40 PM, bobholthaus said:

Where are those from?

I'm not sure which ones MrTn posted, but I've used these Philips "Daylight 8" DRLs on previous cars with good results.  They appear to be made to roughly Euro-OEM standards, i.e. cast aluminum body, glass lens, decently stout wiring, safety agency marks and designed to comply with DRL lighting regulations.  

image.thumb.png.61aa4a79c54cefedcf0704e84c3b7472.png

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-12824WLVWAC1-DayLight-Powered-Daytime/dp/B005DX6BKW

I've been hoping to find some 3" round DRL-beam lights to replace the original foglights with, but between difficulty finding a quality product and difficulty of access to those spaces on the van, gradually leaning toward these linear lights tucked behind the grill... heaven knows there's plenty of space there.

10 hours ago, JAM said:

Thanks for the reply's folks!

Looks like I need to get set up with Forscan.

Just make sure you buy a quality & recommended ELM327 adapter because there are tons & tons of cheap junk on Amazon that don't work. Forscan website has a list or you can search our forum here. I've posted mine in several threads and other members have posted the ones they've successfully used (I prefer hard-wired, some prefer Bluetooth or WiFi). Any that you see mentioned in this forum - except the BBFLY one that someone bought & then had to replace because it doesn't actually work right - will be good for what you want to do. Also save a back-up copy of every single module first thing, before you modify any settings, just in case something goes wrong and you need to restore the original configuration. 

On 10/23/2019 at 6:31 AM, jrm223 said:

Just make sure you buy a quality & recommended ELM327 adapter because there are tons & tons of cheap junk on Amazon that don't work. Forscan website has a list or you can search our forum here. I've posted mine in several threads and other members have posted the ones they've successfully used (I prefer hard-wired, some prefer Bluetooth or WiFi). Any that you see mentioned in this forum - except the BBFLY one that someone bought & then had to replace because it doesn't actually work right - will be good for what you want to do. Also save a back-up copy of every single module first thing, before you modify any settings, just in case something goes wrong and you need to restore the original configuration. 

I am grateful for that little Gold nugget of info you just laid down there! 

Cheers amigo.

Based on personal experience, I prefer the old fashion adapter with a wire.  OBDII connected to USB port.  

I bought an inexpensive WiFi OBDII adapter from Amazon.  First thing which I noticed was that there were monitors just not available.  With a wired connector, I was able to see transmission gear, transmission gear ratio, torque converter slip......not the end of the world.  I could still monitor all the temps I wanted.  I contacted the Amazon Marketplace seller.  I also mentioned that the app was not able to connect to the car's computer in "key on, engine off".  I had to start the car, then the app would connect and display information.  Sometimes, that took a few minutes.  Again, not the end of the world.  They sent me a replacement.  Same results.  Replacement unit worked, or didn't work, exactly as the original unit.  I contacted the seller again.  The seller refunded the purchase.  I now have 2 of these units, free after refund.  But what good are they?  I can use them for a basic connection to monitor my operating temperatures.  Which is fine, and I do use them for that.  But they are useless if I want to use Forscan for any programming.  I just can't trust something like that.  So stay away from the cheap stuff.

On 10/23/2019 at 11:30 AM, Fifty150 said:

Almost every OBDII connector which is inexpensive, will be less than adequate for Forscan.

My "OHP Tools" version was $30, which I consider inexpensive, and it works fine, lol. And I'm with you on hard-wired instead of wireless. People never understand my preference for hard-wired, especially when they find out that I work in IT, haha. Wires have faster communication (typically) and are less prone to compatibility issues like dozens of different radio models trying to communicate properly. KISS principle! 

2 hours ago, jrm223 said:

My "OHP Tools" version was $30

I should have noted that I was thinking about under $20.  Plenty of Amazon and eBay adapters under $20.  Some work.  Some don't.  Hard to find consistent quality in that price range.

Screenshot_20191029-082617.png

Edited by Fifty150

• 3 months later...
On 3/20/2011 at 12:15 PM, ncranchero said:

Got mine too and I will say I like it. But, $23.00 is just ridiculous for that tiny relay !!

TransitConnectDRLrelay5L3Z-14N089-AA.jpg

I get fist fulls of relays at the junk yard, i pay a $2.00 entry fee, so i grab things that will never be bought ( bulbs , fuzes and repays )