Ford Transit Connect Forum

Frozen backup sensor?

framebinder

Here in Maine, we've just gotten a serious cold wave. It was -16 degrees. When I started to back out of the drive, the backup alarm went on continuously.

I could shift in and out of reverse and turn the alarm on and off. Went to the Ford garage and it did it for them too. I was there for a couple of things and

by the time they got to looking at the alarm issue, it wouldn't do it any more. They looked for an error code in the computer but there was none. They

parked the van outside again, I tested it, everything is fine. We figured the cold did it and the time in the garage warmed it up and maybe it wouldn't do it anymore.

But by the time I got home in ten minutes, the alarm was back when in reverse. Backing up my drive never seemed so far as when that thing is wailing.

Any bright ideas as to what is going on. I'll be calling Ford in the morning. Now it is 5 degrees out.

You need to change out your back up sensor fluid. Its freezing up on you. Go to the autoparts store, they usually keep the back up sensor fluid near the blinker fluid.

Get one that is rated for -25 degrees F. That'll fix you up. Keep us posted. ;)

Edited by zepper

I am at my company's headquarters right now for training, we have techs from NorCal, SoCal, and the Boston/Northeast area here currently. One of the Boston guys was saying his Transit had this problem, it does sound like either an extreme cold or snow-related issue. I believe in his case he was saying it was caused by snow covering the sensors? Honestly the guys from back East who have to drive a Transit are not happy with them. I seem to be the odd man out because I actually like this van (but perhaps it is better suited for mild climates??).

You need to change out your back up sensor fluid. Its freezing up on you. Go to the autoparts store, they usually keep the back up sensor fluid near the blinker fluid.

Get one that is rated for -25 degrees F. That'll fix you up. Keep us posted. ;)

They told me that I need a hazardous material permit from the DEP. They also wanted to know if I had disposed the old fluid legally.

What a world.

I am at my company's headquarters right now for training, we have techs from NorCal, SoCal, and the Boston/Northeast area here currently. One of the Boston guys was saying his Transit had this problem, it does sound like either an extreme cold or snow-related issue. I believe in his case he was saying it was caused by snow covering the sensors? Honestly the guys from back East who have to drive a Transit are not happy with them. I seem to be the odd man out because I actually like this van (but perhaps it is better suited for mild climates??).

The sensors were totally clean. I don't know anybody locally to compare notes with to see if they are having the same problem.

It did warm up enough, 20, so that the alarm behaved normally.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought a 2010 TC XLT with the sensors. I'm near Chicago and the second and third days I had it the backup sensors were wailing. No ice, water or dirt on them... but I ran my finger over the sensors and it stopped wailing. No dirt evidenced... I am sitting in the service department now as they try to diagnose it. I have a feeling I will forever be wiping the sensors every time I get in the truck if they are to be of any use...

Here in Maine, we've just gotten a serious cold wave. It was -16 degrees. When I started to back out of the drive, the backup alarm went on continuously.

I could shift in and out of reverse and turn the alarm on and off. Went to the Ford garage and it did it for them too. I was there for a couple of things and

by the time they got to looking at the alarm issue, it wouldn't do it any more. They looked for an error code in the computer but there was none. They

parked the van outside again, I tested it, everything is fine. We figured the cold did it and the time in the garage warmed it up and maybe it wouldn't do it anymore.

But by the time I got home in ten minutes, the alarm was back when in reverse. Backing up my drive never seemed so far as when that thing is wailing.

Any bright ideas as to what is going on. I'll be calling Ford in the morning. Now it is 5 degrees out.

I'm about ready to unplug the :censored: things on mine. If they get even WET they raise hello every time I put it in reverse. Dealer was supposed to diagnose/fix the :censored: things. When I picked it up they said they had ordered a part.........haven't heard a word from them. :banghead: