Ford Transit Connect Forum

Vigorous steeringwheel shake

gibzy.85

Hi Guys

I have a 2009 Transit Connect 1.8 TDCI. Over the last couple weeks I've been noticing a vigorous shaking when I'm accelerating over 45mph and proceeds to get worse the quicker I go. As soon as I release my foot off the accelerator the shaking almost goes.

There is obviously something wrong but unfortunately I only know the basics of mechanics. Could anyone give me some advice on possible problems or things I can look for to diagnose the issue.

I have also got ant intermittent problem, that when I'm accelerating and get to about 2000rpm the engine occasionally seems to misfire and almost cut out. This has been happening on and off since I got the van six months ago. No warning lights come up on the dash when this happens and there is no previous codes when I plug a computer in. Has anyone else had this problem and know what it could be.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Shaking under load is usually a CV-joint/drive shaft issue. There could also be something wrong with streering knuckles or suspension parts like shocks and/or engine/gearbox mounts. These diesel engines tend to have a flat spot somewhere around 2000 rpm but almost cutting out is a bit extreme, true.

Any decent garage should be able to diagnose this quickly.