Ford Transit Connect Forum

Isolator removal

I've recently bought a van and it has got one of those red plastic isolator keys that you have to put into the connection at the front of the bonnet in order to open the doors and also be able to start the vehicle.

It's a pain in the arse and I would like to get rid of it.

What would I need to do to get rid of it and have the vehicle working off the fob and key ?

Am I likely to encounter any problems if it's removed as I'm wondering if they've put it on there in the past to fix an issue of some sort ?

Thanks

Was the van part of a fleet for a company ? I ask this because from what I am seeing on google and what you are describing, this is a battery cutoff switch like they use in emergency vehicles. I know all of our firetrucks had them installed in the floor right beside the drivers seat. It is used to isolate all of the equipment from the battery while the vehicle is parked between calls so that the battery does not get drained. If this is the case, then you should just be able to trace the wires, remove the switch, and connect straight back to the battery.