Ford Transit Connect Forum

Help with my new van needed please

Welshdean

Hi everyone.

Two days ago I bought a transit connect tddi 2004 and I'm not sure if there's any issues with it as I'm paranoid by every sound I hear lol.

I've been told that this van is chain driven but know nothing about what to expect so below are a list of my concerns and I'd be very grateful if someone could shed some light on this please.

Thanks

I started the van this morning and drove off and found that there was a very slight ticking noise. At around 5-10 mph you could very faintly here it but when the vehicle was running at normal speeds it was no longer noticeable. What could be the issue or is this normal ?

Also, it seems as though the gearbox is very close together. I don't mean the acrual gear range, I mean the stick itself. I was driving the first time and aimed to go from 3rd to 4th and went into 2nd instead . It seems very close. Is this normal ?

When travelling at around 80mph it feels as though there's a vibration through the steering wheel , but this only happens at high speeds. I'm on 15" wheels so not sure if it's cos of them.

And finally, how do I stop the rain coming in through the roof extractor fan ?. I live I a hill and it's a nightmare. I got not use for it but don't fancy having a welded patch on the roof . Any suggestions please ?

Looking for any advice.

Thanks

How many miles on it? TDDi is an excellent engine if serviced in time. The chain is used for fuel pump only. Camshaft is belt-driven. Is the ticking also there when the engine is hot? Sometimes a wrong spec oil may cause all kinds of ticking noises. You need very specific Ford oil for this one.

Here's some background info on the engine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Endura-D_engine

I'm not sure what do you consider to be close but I can measure my shifter movement for reference. It's true the throws are short and precise clicks like in a sports car. Fun to drive.

Wobbles at speed are usually caused by wheel balancing, loose tie rod ends or bad shocks. You should feel a damaged tire at all speeds. No clunks?

I have no idea on the vent issue, sorry. If the seal is leaking then just remove and reattach it with plenty of silicone and be done with it.