Ford Transit Connect Forum

How Rare is the 1.6 Ecoboost Wagon in the USA? This Rare...

I had a Ford representative run a nationwide inventory search for Transit Connect Wagons that had both the Ecoboost engine and My Ford Touch radios.

2015: 0 available

2016: 0 available, 1 in production

Transit Wagons with the Ecoboost (in any configuration) was less than a dozen in inventory nationwide.

Wow.

Cargo vans with Ecoboost, there's LOTS. Wagons, it's almost non-existent.

Las Vegas has 3 Ecoboost Wagons, but all have the tiny, cheap, stereo screen. Why some dealers order these fully loaded SWB vans, but skip the Ecoboost or the My Ford Touch is beyond me.

I'm placing my custom 2017 Transit Connect order tomorrow. I'll post my findings for those that care.

The shortage is really irregular. My months long daily search has been a regular failure. I was thinking there was a suitably configured model available somewhere, so far none. I need a LWB 120 hp turbodiesel with a rigid bulkhead with a pass-through loading door, barn doors and one sliding door in the rear (no glass), cruise control, radio with Bluetooth. That's it.

Instead there is one with 120 hp and rear windows, no cruise control, or one with cruise control and blind boot but 95 hp. And so on.

Ford

The shortage is really irregular. My months long daily search has been a regular failure. I was thinking there was a suitably configured model available somewhere, so far none. I need a LWB 120 hp turbodiesel with a rigid bulkhead with a pass-through loading door, barn doors and one sliding door in the rear (no glass), cruise control, radio with Bluetooth. That's it.

Instead there is one with 120 hp and rear windows, no cruise control, or one with cruise control and blind boot but 95 hp. And so on.

It seems Ford is really not caring too much about the minority of us, who actually like this vehicle and it's "available" options. You should do what I did, keep visiting the Ford website until you get a "chat invitation". Once you get an agent, ask them to run the search for you. Funny thing is there's no way to initiate a chat without being invited. It's just one obstacle after another.

Why can't I just like another vehicle? The Metris is ugly and overpriced. The NV200 is a joke. The Promaster City...ew.

I think that the fuel and performance difference is small and most of the people buying wagons are not not the people that Turbo on the door is the deciding factor.

I think that In my case I like this vehicle as much as any enthusiast. But for different reasons.

Here the difference is 178Hp vs 169hp. In mrtn's case it is 120 vs 95. 5% for us 20% for mrtn.

The one with 95hp does not need cruise control because it is in the corner all the time!!

Ford's biggest mistake was putting the Ecoboost in the Transit and not telling people how much better the engine really is. The numbers don't tell the story AT ALL.

On Sunday I test drove a Wagon Titanium LWB with the 2.5 Duratec. Lethargic would best describe the experience. I know from past vehicles I've owned that I will get tired of that really quick. I don't need to be a speed demon, but passing someone on the freeway or properly merging are definitely important to me.

Then I drove the 1.6 Ecoboost on a LWB cargo van. Enormous difference. Torque everywhere. The 2.5 just starts to feel like it has some balls as you rev it out to 6k. The 1.6 delivers that same feel from the beginning to the end of the tachometer.

It's a FAR CRY from just being a badge on the door as someone has apparently mis-lead you to believe.

Again, Ford could easily market the 1.6 better. I believe they know who they are up against, which I hate to say is people with GBL's mindset, which is "it's a van, and it works so don't charge me for any fancy gimmicks". It's just so not true in this case. The van has so much potential. The 1.6 should have been the base engine with the 2.0 Ecoboost as the top level.

A 2 liter Ecoboost, AWD Transit Connect is literally my ideal vehicle.

Edited by DapperVan

I've got an Ecoboost wagon and can confirm that it was a pain in the ass to find. I had to give up on the glass roof to make it happen. The SWB wagon is quite rare already, which doesn't surprise me much (who wants a 5-seat van, besides me, of course :D ). What surprises me more was the decision to not offer the Ecoboost on the LWB wagon.

I've got an Ecoboost wagon and can confirm that it was a pain in the ass to find. I had to give up on the glass roof to make it happen. The SWB wagon is quite rare already, which doesn't surprise me much (who wants a 5-seat van, besides me, of course :D ). What surprises me more was the decision to not offer the Ecoboost on the LWB wagon.

Sounds like you had the same problem as me finding one. I was actually about to forgo the panoramic roof too because I had actually sourced one, but it was 400 miles away and sold before I could make a move. That's why I'm just ordering one from scratch now.

If Ford's 2017 statements are true, then this is the van I'm ordering tomorrow:

2017 Transit Connect Wagon SWB Titanium (new SWB option for 2017, includes leather, SYNC 3, reverse sensors, auto headlamps, roof rails, power seats and fog lamps)

1.6L Ecoboost

Trailer Tow pkg

Power Mirrrors

Auto temp control

17" wheels (hoping for a new black wheel choice, the existing ones are ugly to me)

2 Key fobs

Panoramic Sunroof

I'm also considering the blind spot indicator, but I don't think I really need that.

All of what you say is true, except that I was mis-lead, This is not a performance vehicle by any stretch of the imagination regardless of the engine involved. You would be right about the 2.0 ecoboost it would be a game changer, but they would need a different transmission. The all wheel drive would also be interesting. The sales numbers of this model are fairly low in the US as a result the offerings are limited You are Very correct that Ford does not have a great interest in You as a minority buyer in a small volume model. The (2.0 ecoboost all wheel drive) drive train is already available for this TC if they see a demand. You folks need to let Ford know that is what you want in numbers that will get them to move.

Edited by G B L

It will be interesting to watch. The Toyota Sienna is available in AWD here , the Honda and Chrysler are not . I wonder what the numbers really are. If Ford does not offer this option in The Uk or Eu mrtn's neck of the woods then the numbers must be weak. What some very clever folks do with a small group of TC"s qualifies as most interesting. Unfortunately the numbers make it a enthusiast offering that will be found in the Summit Racing of Jegs catalogue. Look for the AWD package to be available in Moab Utah next Easter.

Edited by G B L

It will be interesting to watch. The Toyota Sienna is available in AWD here , the Honda and Chrysler are not . I wonder what the numbers really are. If Ford does not offer this option in The Uk or Eu mrtn's neck of the woods then the numbers must be weak. What some very clever folks do with a small group of TC"s qualifies as most interesting. Unfortunately the numbers make it a enthusiast offering that will be found in the Summit Racing of Jegs catalogue. Look for the AWD package to be available in Moab Utah next Easter.

I'd be happy with even an aftermarket AWD/4WD solution a'la Quigley or the like. They do an awesome job on the full sized Transit.

Edited by DapperVan

I was in this boat! I wanted the SWB, with Ecoboost, Vinyl flooring, and the panoramic roof. I replaced a Honda Element which you can washout with a hose. So I had to settle for just getting the ecoboost. I did find ecoboost with panoramic roof, but would need to be shipped to a dealer. I was able to get new March 2016 old stock 2014 Transit Connect with ecoboost, in Blue -Not White! for 21.5 shipped from IL to DC, the 2016 with Panaromic and ecoboost was 26.5 before taxes and dealer fees, and it would have to be shipped from another dealer so no deals happening there.

The Car rides fast to me, especially if you put it in the (S) mode. I didn't know the car had auto shift, I tried it was ok. I find that if I am in a tight situation like trying to get up to speed on a tight on ramp I go to Sport mode, then when up to speed go to drive.

I was in this boat! I wanted the SWB, with Ecoboost, Vinyl flooring, and the panoramic roof. I replaced a Honda Element which you can washout with a hose. So I had to settle for just getting the ecoboost. I did find ecoboost with panoramic roof, but would need to be shipped to a dealer. I was able to get new March 2016 old stock 2014 Transit Connect with ecoboost, in Blue -Not White! for 21.5 shipped from IL to DC, the 2016 with Panaromic and ecoboost was 26.5 before taxes and dealer fees, and it would have to be shipped from another dealer so no deals happening there.

The Car rides fast to me, especially if you put it in the (S) mode. I didn't know the car had auto shift, I tried it was ok. I find that if I am in a tight situation like trying to get up to speed on a tight on ramp I go to Sport mode, then when up to speed go to drive.

Damn where is that 26.5 van now??? That's what I'm looking for I don't even really care about the price.