Ford Transit Connect Forum

Using as a mail car-rear brake/wheel issue

I bought my Transit in 2014 as a leftover from a dealer. This van works perfectly for carrying mail on a rural mail route other than I have to sit on the parking break but a cushion helps tremendously with that. Anyway, I have had problems from the beginning with the rear wheel and brake. Kept hearing scraping, grinding from the right rear wheel every time I braked and basically while the wheel was rotating. When I took it in because it became much worse, the rear brakes had disintegrated. By that point I had only had the vehicle two months. No one, even the dealer, knew what was causing the brake issue and it was getting expensive having to replace rear brakes every month or so. Finally, someone decided to investigate further and we found that when my vehicle was assembled Ford put on drums with the wrong specs. Warranty covered that one but there was also the issue of scraping everytime the wheel rotated. Turns out the brake adjuster was loose. Im hoping that everything if fixed permanently this time as its was getting very frustrating losing rear brakes all the time and no answer as to why. Y'all might want to check your specs on the drums if you have had rear wheel issues. :)