Ford Transit Connect Forum

radio upgrade & adding rear speakers

I have a 2010 Ford Transit Connect factory radio with CD player (6000 series). The radio has 2 front door speakers only. I would like to possibly add rear speakers and wire them into the factory radio. My dilema is this, I understand that the factiory radio has only 2 outputs for the front speakers, rear speakers were not available till 2012 I think. 1) Has anyone added rear speakers to their Connect, after removing the headliner there are 3 speaker openings. 2) Which opening do the speakers go into (1, 2 or 3 with 1 being towrds the rear and 3 being towards the front) 3) Can you wire the rear speakers into the front speakers or do I need to upgrade to an aftermarket radio with 4 outputs 4) Has anyone installed a 2012 Ford Factory radio with success (Ford Fusion or Milan style). I know I have many questions. Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated as I would like to have rear speakers with minimal work if possible.

Scott

I have rear speakers in my '12 and, TBH, the rear space is big and hollow and the stock rear speakers don't sound right, too much echo and reverb. I haven't really given it a thought how to fix it but I started with complete front door sound insulation and speaker replacement. The sound stage improved drastically. The next thing is to amplify it and I'm sure the rear speakers are useless by that time. I'll probably check how to wire the sliding doors and put upgraded rears there.

I have rear speakers in my '12 and, TBH, the rear space is big and hollow and the stock rear speakers don't sound right, too much echo and reverb. I haven't really given it a thought how to fix it but I started with complete front door sound insulation and speaker replacement. The sound stage improved drastically. The next thing is to amplify it and I'm sure the rear speakers are useless by that time. I'll probably check how to wire the sliding doors and put upgraded rears there.

Thanks for the information, its much appreciated. I thought about putting speakers in the sliding doors, but I don't see a sock or wiring boot to hide the speakers leads for them. I am pretty picky when it comes to my vehicles and want my stuff to look stock and clean. I will try adding sound absorning material to the interior to see if it changes the sound. I wonder if I can put a factory CD radio in my 2010 FTC like you have in your vehicle? I haven't received any replies yet or found one for sale yet. Thanks again for your assistance.

Scott

Hello Scott. G B L has a nice idea. I checked the wiring diagram for the 2010 Transit Connect and, as you wrote, there are only two speaker outputs. Adding a second set of speakers to the existing speakers may work, or it may blow out the audio circuit. Much safer to go with G B L's idea.

Thanks for the information, I guess I could try wiring them into the front speakers but I wouldn't want to blow out the audio circuit. I can try G B L's suggestion. It looks pretty straight forward.

Scott

I am pretty picky when it comes to my vehicles and want my stuff to look stock and clean. I wonder if I can put a factory CD radio in my 2010 FTC like you have in your vehicle?

Me too, that's why I need to think how to do it. Factory look all the way. I'm thinking of an energy chain to carry the cable under the top or bottom slider.

I have the standard oval Ford 6000 CD (Fiesta/Focus/TC/Mondeo/Fusion), which they did not sell in the US: http://car-solutions.com/nfs/product/856529/file/6000cd_round.jpg

Plenty for sale in ebay. You also need a matching oval adapter plate.

The good thing about the amp is you can set the balance and fade with the amp and set the volume of the booster . If you want to hide the amp to keep the stock look the vol control and balance will control of the radio will still control the sound out put.

Hope the mod works out let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...