Ford Transit Connect Forum

do it yourself maintanance, rust and corrosion

fred wark

I am thinking of purchasing one of these vehicles. How easy is it for a customer like me, do regular maintance such as changing the oil and filter? Are the drain plugs and filter easy to find and remove? What about grease fittings? Are there any?

I am also wondering if anyone knows about how the road salt encountered this time of year will affect this truck? Is it going to turn into a pile of rust in a few years? I know they have been available in the U>S for only a few years. Does anyone know how rusty the 6 or 7 year old models found in Europe, are becoming? I assume that they spread salt for ice control in Europe, and that it can cause problems.

Thanks Fred

I am thinking of purchasing one of these vehicles. How easy is it for a customer like me, do regular maintance such as changing the oil and filter? Are the drain plugs and filter easy to find and remove? What about grease fittings? Are there any?

I am also wondering if anyone knows about how the road salt encountered this time of year will affect this truck? Is it going to turn into a pile of rust in a few years? I know they have been available in the U>S for only a few years. Does anyone know how rusty the 6 or 7 year old models found in Europe, are becoming? I assume that they spread salt for ice control in Europe, and that it can cause problems.

Thanks Fred

I do all my own servicing also. I've got over 40k miles on my Transit and it has never been back to dealer. This vehicle is very easy to change oil and filter on. No need to even jack it up once you know where the drain plug is as you really cant see it while laying on the ground next to pass. ft. tire. Filter is out in the open and easy to get to.

Oil change is a snap. Everything can be reached form under the front bumper. Tire rotation is complicated by tire pressure monitors, but not difficult. The procedure in the manual works with no problem and no special tools required. Thats all I've done so far.