Ford Transit Connect Forum

Volvo Wheels

zepper

We all know volvo as Ford's safety conscious division but it turns out they have an extrodinary selection of wheels for their cars--most of which will fit the transit. The good things about using the OEM wheels are: they are generally high quality, made to stringent safety standards, available CHEAP from Volvo guys that are upgrading.

I got mine for $400 SHIPPED with 3,000 mile old tires. The tires are high quality all season Michelins that are rated for the same load and PSI as the transits' OEM tires despite the lower profile. MUCH quieter too.

These are 17" X 7" and the center bore was a perfect fit. Plenty of offset to clear the brakes.

Watch fleabay and Swedespeed.com --marketplace--classifieds.

The swedespeed forum even has an informative post with many pictures of OEM volvo wheels and their sizes/part numbers/names etc.

transit_connect002.jpg

transit_connect016.jpg

Edited by zepper

I also like the Euro Focus SVT Rally style wheels. Too expensive to ship though! :doh:

I actually bought the Transit used and out of state b/c it was ridiculously cheap, couldn't find any used Silver ones in Cali that fit the budget. The dealers are asking close to invoice for a used one and you would still have to pay Cali 10% tax.

I've already smogged it and registered it for here. Any interesting side story was the kid working at the smog shop. He was from Turkey and this was the first transit he had driven/checked out/smogged. He liked it, a bit of pride on his part. He also said that it was one of the lowest emission vehicles he had ever smogged. Pretty cool considering this is a 49 state model.

It would be cool to lower it, there is a guy on fordtransit.org The UK site working on a kit to sell but I know that it will require repositioning the rear axle above the leaf spring. To much hassle for me I think, but it would finish it off nicely.

Oh I actually forgot to put in my original post that though the wheels are bigger the over all diameter of the tires mounted on the wheels is the same, so the height of the transit hasn't changed and the distance from the top of the tire to the fenders hasn't changed.

I see from the gallery what your purpose is for the TC, nice work on the inside. Looks good.

Regarding your smog tech, I had a customer who was Turkish and asked me what I thought of the van. Good thing I told him I liked it, he didn't tell me he was Turkish until after he asked me how I liked it. That could have been embarrassing if I had said it sucked. Our company also builds some very expensive refrigerators in Turkey; I learned early not to reveal that information to customers, in particular to Greek customers. Boy was that guy pissed. Haha.

I have some friends that are Armeanian (sp?) and they never miss an opportunity to curse the Turks. I did not know the Greeks didn't like the Turkish people-now noted.

I personally think the Turks make great vans! :shift:

I'll post some info on the moto carrier up in the gallery.

Oh I actually forgot to put in my original post that though the wheels are bigger the over all diameter of the tires mounted on the wheels is the same, so the height of the transit hasn't changed and the distance from the top of the tire to the fenders hasn't changed.

So did you get your TPMS reprogrammed or you just going to live with the dash light on? I've got over 40k+ miles on my Transit and will be changing to sportier wheels with next tire change. I will live with that light on if I have too and check my own tires like I have for almost 40 years.

So did you get your TPMS reprogrammed or you just going to live with the dash light on? I've got over 40k+ miles on my Transit and will be changing to sportier wheels with next tire change. I will live with that light on if I have too and check my own tires like I have for almost 40 years.

Yeah I just live with the light on, actually i made a custom idiot light canceling mechanism, which consists of a small round piece of black electrical tape applied to the glass speedo/tacho cover.

I tried to pull the fuse for the TPMS from the main power relay box under the hood but it didn't prevent the light from coming on. Maybe I pulled the wrong one? But I have been driving it for weeks now w/o the TPMS and the cruise control/everything works fine. It was suggested early on here on this forum that the TPMS was some how tied to the cruise control system. Rest assured they are unrelated.

Yeah I just live with the light on, actually i made a custom idiot light canceling mechanism, which consists of a small round piece of black electrical tape applied to the glass speedo/tacho cover.

I tried to pull the fuse for the TPMS from the main power relay box under the hood but it didn't prevent the light from coming on. Maybe I pulled the wrong one? But I have been driving it for weeks now w/o the TPMS and the cruise control/everything works fine. It was suggested early on here on this forum that the TPMS was some how tied to the cruise control system. Rest assured they are unrelated.

LOL! Like the "custom idiot light canceling mechanism" !

• 3 weeks later...

Volvo 17" Mestra wheels, they look really nice painted black or dark grey too. Saw quite a few painted ones when I was shopping around. So you checked out the swedespeed forum? Pretty amazing how many wheels Volvo makes huh? Their reference guide is good but it does need to be updated with the newer wheels.

These are also the lightest Volvo C30 OEM wheels at 21 lbs each.

I don't have a scale (i'm just fat and I accept it and don't worry about it.) but I wanted to compare the OEM transit wheel/tire combo with the Volvo wheels and tires. The old lift test had them about the same.

Oh and for everyone else that wanted to check out that swede speed classified section for wheels and tires:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisplay.php?48-Wheels-Tires-Classifieds

Check out their Wheel image sticky at the top of the post.

Edited by zepper

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Curious if the bigger wheels reduced your mileage?

When I got a some Toyota Matrix 18 inch wheels the mileage in my Vibe dropped about 2-3 mpg. The Vibe came with 16 inch stock wheels. The 18 are offered on the sport model, but that also has a 5 speed automatic vs my 4 speed. Just curious if you noticed in drop off in mileage. I'd like to upgrade my Transit Connect wheels when the tires start to wear out.

• 1 year later...

We all know volvo as Ford's safety conscious division but it turns out they have an extrodinary selection of wheels for their cars--most of which will fit the transit. The good things about using the OEM wheels are: they are generally high quality, made to stringent safety standards, available CHEAP from Volvo guys that are upgrading.

I got mine for $400 SHIPPED with 3,000 mile old tires. The tires are high quality all season Michelins that are rated for the same load and PSI as the transits' OEM tires despite the lower profile. MUCH quieter too.

These are 17" X 7" and the center bore was a perfect fit. Plenty of offset to clear the brakes.

Watch fleabay and Swedespeed.com --marketplace--classifieds.

The swedespeed forum even has an informative post with many pictures of OEM volvo wheels and their sizes/part numbers/names etc.

transit_connect002.jpg

transit_connect016.jpg

Volvo S60 wheels w/ 225/50/17 tires, some drop mileage, but lot smoother and enjoyable ride. love the elegant look it gives the ride!!

Way cool trick to use Volvo wheels on the Ford Transit Connect! I never would have guessed that these would have fit so nicely.