Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
Paul Hauser

bike haulers; what fits how.

It seems like several of us are interested in hauling our bicycles, scooters, and/or motorcycles. Lets see 'em.

Bonneville 650 Triumph 1972

Anyone ever shove a sportbike into a Connect?

I've measured and I'm almost positive I can make it work... My thought was (since I still wanted the option to occasionally have more than one passenger):

- Get LWB Wagon

- Remove 2nd row seats, build platform to extend floor forward over seat mounts.

- Remove 3rd row seats, install custom fabricated plate with Pit Bull Trailer Restraint plate

My bike is 82.1 inches, I did some measuring on a wagon and it'll be VERY close with the seat all the way back to where I would have it as a driver (I'm 6'2"). I figure I can put the seat forward, load the bike, then turn the wheel to the side and put the seat back. Or I could just put it behind the passenger and have them deal with a tad less legroom.

Mustang, could you measure how long your Bonnie is? It'd help a lot with getting a sense of scale. Thanks!

Edited by Knolly

don't have it anymore ..........that pic was it's bon voyage trip to a new owner

Ah, thanks for the response though! From everything I can find I think the Bonnie is larger both in width and height than the Ninja H2 I need to haul, so I think I should be in good shape!

EDIT: Double post, whoops!

Edited by Knolly

I'm almost certain it's near 8ft from taillight lens to extreme front of tire

it fit ok

the real trick is getting past the rear bulkhead on a angle from the ramp.

I'm almost certain it's near 8ft from taillight lens to extreme front of tire

it fit ok

the real trick is getting past the rear bulkhead on a angle from the ramp.

The bike I have is 44.3 in tall, and I believe the rear opening is 44/45.1 inches (depending on rear door).

It'd be REAL snug, but I don't see why it couldn't fit. The only question I guess is if I could also fit my stands, generator and other various race day gear... A trailer might still be the right call I guess.

Hi, new to the forum but owned a panel van connect in the past and can confirm we can get two Vespa px (Stella) in the cargo area, just in process of getting a tourneo 04 model with fully remove able seats and again this comfortably gets two scoots in, sadly no pics, but rest assured I'll upload some when tourneo comes.

Andy

SWB or LWB?

Here is a thread showing various options for hauling road and MTB bicycles inside the TC.

On 3/17/2016 at 6:15 AM, mustang said:

_KGN1373_zps3791c2e5.jpg

That is a pretty good fit.  Almost makes me want to shove my Harley in the back of my van, just to see how it would fit.  But then again.......I still have a truck for hauling my bike, and hauling whatever else, so maybe simply keeping my Transit Connect as a people hauler will work best for me.  But that does look like a really good fit.

This is my setup. 2016 SWB with a KTM 390 Duke in the back. It's a bit tight but, because the bike is on the smaller side, she does the job (if you don't mind having the front of a tire as your middle passenger)! 

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

Posted (edited)

4 bikes hanging off the hitch

Roof top tent to sleeps 2 

Fold down the seats sleeps 2 more

35385746785_6e4b044f30_z.jpg

Edited by stopbreakindown

MLB    1
Posted (edited)

Does the bike rack tip the front end up at all?  Gotta be about 200lbs there and as far back as the bikes go, some of the tongue weight is more rearward than directly on the ball as is normal. (more leverage)

Hauling motorcycles with a hitch hauler that has to be spaced further back like this to clear the handlebars, we're told to cut the tongue weight rating in HALF.  Though there ALL the weight is 18" back of the receiver.

So my 700lb tongue rated Touareg is maxed out with my 320lb dual sport bike on back.  Doesn't float the front at all, but you can tell you don't want any more load on the rear.  FWIW

Do the bikes bounce around much?

I want to get a hauler for 2 bikes, but E bikes that weigh about 50-60lbs each, so probably comparable to what you've got there.   Thanks

Edited by MLB