Ford Transit Connect Forum

bike haulers; what fits how.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever shove a sportbike into a Connect?

I've measured and I'm almost positive I can make it work... My thought was (since I still wanted the option to occasionally have more than one passenger):

- Get LWB Wagon

- Remove 2nd row seats, build platform to extend floor forward over seat mounts.

- Remove 3rd row seats, install custom fabricated plate with Pit Bull Trailer Restraint plate

My bike is 82.1 inches, I did some measuring on a wagon and it'll be VERY close with the seat all the way back to where I would have it as a driver (I'm 6'2"). I figure I can put the seat forward, load the bike, then turn the wheel to the side and put the seat back. Or I could just put it behind the passenger and have them deal with a tad less legroom.

Mustang, could you measure how long your Bonnie is? It'd help a lot with getting a sense of scale. Thanks!

Edited by Knolly

I'm almost certain it's near 8ft from taillight lens to extreme front of tire

it fit ok

the real trick is getting past the rear bulkhead on a angle from the ramp.

The bike I have is 44.3 in tall, and I believe the rear opening is 44/45.1 inches (depending on rear door).

It'd be REAL snug, but I don't see why it couldn't fit. The only question I guess is if I could also fit my stands, generator and other various race day gear... A trailer might still be the right call I guess.

• 9 months later...

Hi, new to the forum but owned a panel van connect in the past and can confirm we can get two Vespa px (Stella) in the cargo area, just in process of getting a tourneo 04 model with fully remove able seats and again this comfortably gets two scoots in, sadly no pics, but rest assured I'll upload some when tourneo comes.

Andy

On 3/17/2016 at 6:15 AM, mustang said:

_KGN1373_zps3791c2e5.jpg

That is a pretty good fit.  Almost makes me want to shove my Harley in the back of my van, just to see how it would fit.  But then again.......I still have a truck for hauling my bike, and hauling whatever else, so maybe simply keeping my Transit Connect as a people hauler will work best for me.  But that does look like a really good fit.

• 4 months later...

This is my setup. 2016 SWB with a KTM 390 Duke in the back. It's a bit tight but, because the bike is on the smaller side, she does the job (if you don't mind having the front of a tire as your middle passenger)! 

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Does the bike rack tip the front end up at all?  Gotta be about 200lbs there and as far back as the bikes go, some of the tongue weight is more rearward than directly on the ball as is normal. (more leverage)

Hauling motorcycles with a hitch hauler that has to be spaced further back like this to clear the handlebars, we're told to cut the tongue weight rating in HALF.  Though there ALL the weight is 18" back of the receiver.

So my 700lb tongue rated Touareg is maxed out with my 320lb dual sport bike on back.  Doesn't float the front at all, but you can tell you don't want any more load on the rear.  FWIW

Do the bikes bounce around much?

I want to get a hauler for 2 bikes, but E bikes that weigh about 50-60lbs each, so probably comparable to what you've got there.   Thanks

Edited by MLB

• 8 months later...

Sorry no photos of it but have hauled my Honda Metropolitan scooter a few times on top of the seats.  Folded all of the seats, put WeatherTech mat over the seats and a 3' square piece of MDF board on top of the mat.  Rolled the scooter in and put the center stand down.  That was the hardest part until I realized a piece of pipe over the leaver would work just fine to leaver the stand down.  It also has a lock for the stand so it will not roll off.  Used tie downs to fasten the luggage rack on the scooter to the anchors on the floor in the rear.  The front wheel goes down between the two middle seats (have 6 seat configuration).  It rides just fine.  If I were to haul long distances would take rear seats out and tie it down more securely.  

Just finished a trailer build.  Started with a vintage Holsclaw dirt bike trailer from the 80's.  I picked it up at an estate sale. It is an interesting design with coil springs and shock absorbers. Complete disassemble, removed the rust and old paint.  Painted and reassembled everything using new bolts and nuts.  Also replaced the shock absorbers.  Instead of putting the dirt bike rails back on I replaced the front crossmember with a piece of unistrut and built a 7 foot deck out of 5/4" x 6"deck boards.  I love how in the lumber world 5/4 = 1 inch!  The front and rear of the deck are caped with steel angle 1 1/4" x 1 1/4".  On the front of the deck I mounted a Harbor Freight motorcycle wheel chock.  The two parts that stick up above the base can be removed very easily which makes it easier to haul stuff like lumber or plywood.  For plywood I'll have to make a stand so that it will be above the fenders.  The capacity is a little less than 700 pounds which is more than enough for my 420 pound motorcycle.  It is narrower than the TC which I like but cannot see it in the rear view mirrors except when turning.  The fenders came from Northern Tool - because they were close, unstuck and inexpensive.

LED lights from Amazon were installed and work very well.  I have the factory towing package.

adj3D6A9890.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update, had hauled my Metropolitan scooter a few times putting it on top of the folded seats.  It weighs 165 pounds so not hard to roll in.  Had to take mirrors and top case off.  Last week took out the back seats which was very easy except for lifting them out.  They are not real heavy but awkward to lift up and out without help.  Put my WeatherTech cargo mat down and a 3 x 3 MDF board on top and rolled the scooter in.  Still had to take mirrors off but not the top case.  I used three straps and it was very stable with no movement at all.  Used a mat from IKEA at the back to go over the bumper when rolling the scooter in.  Next time I'm going to get something to go between the seat and the strap.  It didn't hurt it this time but worry about doing it frequently.  Made a nice place to step and not worry about dirt and grime scratching the bumper.  The front wheel rolls into the space between the two middle seats and the dropdown is nice in holding it in place.  Also the Metropolitan has a center stand lock which keeps it from folding if it should move forward a bit.  Thinking of making a wheel chock for the front which would make it easier to roll in and strap down and give me something to practice welding on.

At the racetrack a scooter is extremely useful to get around on.  Not only does it haul me and my gear but I also put a soft cooler with cokes and ice on the floorboard.  That way I can get refreshed, cooled and caffeinated :-)   Sometimes I do put some water in there as well.

IMG_5902.JPG

IMG_5904.JPG

• 5 months later...

I just had a Suzuki DRZ 400 in the back of a 2010 TC.  The seats were all the way back, and it fit.  The front tire was against the right side B-pillar and the back of the passenger's seat.  The forks were turned to lock and the back of the bike angled across the cargo bay to the left corner.  It was a tight fit, but it worked.  The next problem was getting an 8' ramp in with it.  That did poke through and provide me with an arm rest, but it also fit.  Fitting motorcycles was my only concern as far as cargo size.  The second gen LWB is long enough, but not quite tall enough for the DRZ.  The DRZ is also longer than my Daytona 675, which I haven't carried yet, but ought to fit without the same level of complication.  With the passenger seat pulled forward, it would have fit easier, but I didn't think of that at the time.

Thought about my Kawasaki ZX6R 636 but decided it would be tight on height.  My current BMW F800GT would not fiydue to tall windscreen.  I have a small trailer (old Holzclaw) that I put a wood deck on and it is perfect for the motorcycles. I only plan on hauling one and the total weight is only about 800 pounds so is a good tow weight.

ive been hauling my Kymco Compagno 110i which is about 200 pounds and is about as easy as the Metropolitan to get in and out.  One way to think of the Kymco is a Metropolitian that will do 60mph.  ?