Ford Transit Connect Forum

2015 "shimmy" on start

Sharon85

Hi all. New here. I have a 2015 titanium connect. Love it. Bought it new with about 20 miles on it flash forward to the past 8 months, I'm at about 50k miles. When I turn the key in the ignition and start the engine the entire front end will "shake" as if it is going to stall out but it never has. If I have my foot on the brake BEFORE turning the ignition, it will never do it. If I put my foot on the accelerator WHILE it is shaking it will immediately stop. It ONLY does it on ignition, never while idling or moving.

It has been in to the dealer, and they did a computer reset which stopped the problem for roughly 2 months, then it's started back up, occasionally at first and now almost every time I start it.

Thoughts?

When it shakes what are the RPM's,

Just a wild guess, The Idle air control is too low and when you have your foot on the brake it is causing the computer to raise the idle. Stepping on the gas will do the same thing, once the revs are good it is happy.

You might also check the, Spark plugs if they have not been changed.

keep us posted.

When it is shaking are the Rpm's the same as after the accelerator is pressed and released?

As the electronic throttle is taking the place of the IAC then the resting position for the throttle plate could be on the low side and could cause a low Idle

How long will the shaking continue if you do nothing?

Mine did the same thing once on a quick restart so I will have to pay attention.

Then it is Ok? Then no symptoms until the next start?

Did the dealer have the symptoms happen with a scanner hooked up?

What happens if when you turn the key on you cycle the Switch a second time to start it?