Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

Sharon85

2015 "shimmy" on start

Hi all. New here. I have a 2015 titanium connect. Love it. Bought it new with about 20 miles on it flash forward to the past 8 months, I'm at about 50k miles. When I turn the key in the ignition and start the engine the entire front end will "shake" as if it is going to stall out but it never has. If I have my foot on the brake BEFORE turning the ignition, it will never do it. If I put my foot on the accelerator WHILE it is shaking it will immediately stop. It ONLY does it on ignition, never while idling or moving.

It has been in to the dealer, and they did a computer reset which stopped the problem for roughly 2 months, then it's started back up, occasionally at first and now almost every time I start it.

Thoughts?

It's definitely neither of those two recalls.

When it shakes what are the RPM's,

Just a wild guess, The Idle air control is too low and when you have your foot on the brake it is causing the computer to raise the idle. Stepping on the gas will do the same thing, once the revs are good it is happy.

You might also check the, Spark plugs if they have not been changed.

keep us posted.

When it shakes what are the RPM's,

Same question - do the rpm drop or is it losing a cylinder or two.

The RPMS are lower than 1k. However transit connects are not equipped with an IAC, it's controlled by an electronic throttle body.

800-900 are correct rpm.

There have been several reports of diesel TC electronic accelerator pedals failing and causing all kinds of engine speed problems. Not sure if it's the same unit tho.

When it is shaking are the Rpm's the same as after the accelerator is pressed and released?

As the electronic throttle is taking the place of the IAC then the resting position for the throttle plate could be on the low side and could cause a low Idle

How long will the shaking continue if you do nothing?

Mine did the same thing once on a quick restart so I will have to pay attention.

I would say it last 10 to 15 seconds if I do nothing.

Then it is Ok? Then no symptoms until the next start?

Did the dealer have the symptoms happen with a scanner hooked up?

What happens if when you turn the key on you cycle the Switch a second time to start it?