Ford Transit Connect Forum

Power Point Outlets , a question

gordow

I've just received my new TC this morning and am reading the owners manual for it under the Power Points section ,, it states not to leave any battery chargers , video game adapters or other devices plugged in while the car is turned off for any long periods of time that it could drain the battery down.

I've just come over from a Chev Uplander where i had an Xm radio , Garmin Gps , a cell phone charger and my bluetooth charger plugged in all the time ,, does the above from Ford mean that i have to unplug the adapters for these electronic devices even though they are not being used at the time? My Uplander had battery wear down protection that stopped anything from running the battery down if the car has been shut off for a certain amount of time.

Surely having a charger adapter plugged in without the cell phone attached or in the case of my GPS i always remove it from its cradle when i leave the vehicle for any long periods of time ,, should wear down the battery.

Anyone have any experience with this??

Now comes the fun part in finding space for my gps and xm radio. Always a treat to find the best place for these.

Gord

I leave my various chargers plugged in all the time, including overnight... but with the various accessories not plugged in to the chargers. I leave the GPS charging between service calls. I've only been driving the van for about 8 weeks though. So far so good. Like you said, how much power can a charger that is not charging anything consume? I don't know if the Transit Connect has a battery saver feature for the power points. The interior lights will time out after so many minutes, but I have yet to have any power points shut down.

The nice thing about the Transit is it has an ultra big alternator so any wear down that happens is quickly replaced as soon as you drive. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the static draw of a charger, w/o the device that it's supposed to charge connected, is very very low. You should be fine.

The nice thing about the Transit is it has an ultra big alternator so any wear down that happens is quickly replaced as soon as you drive. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the static draw of a charger, w/o the device that it's supposed to charge connected, is very very low. You should be fine.

Thanks for the responses guys , i've had this baby for less than a week now and love it ,, sure there are things that i think could have been done differently with it ,, but minor things like moving the pwr window switch's to the door panel , and then moving the cup holders forward and putting a small bin where the the cup holders are , but those have really no bearing on the drivablility of the TC.

In the less than a week i've taken it on some fairly long drives on some fairly hilly terrain and found it comfortable and quite good on the hills.

Now that i've set up my GPS and Xm Radio in it , it feels more like home.

I was leery on leaving everything plugged in so i've got all my adaptors going into one 3 port outlet then it running down to one of the power points , that way its only one adaptor to pull out ,, maybe when the weathers warmer will i leave them plugged in , just don't feel like dealing with a dead battery in the freezing weather if it does happen.