Ford Transit Connect Forum

Do They All Do This?

MegaZone

Hello Fellow TC Owners,

I have a ’15 LWB van that I bought back last May and it’s perfect for what I bought it for, namely hauling my Suzuki motorcycle to the track. My van does something on initial throttle tip-in that I’m wondering is normal or a problem. When pulling away from a stop it seems like the engine has to attain some revs, maybe 1200 RPM or so before the torque converter engages and the van starts to move. It’s easily modulated if I think about what I’m doing to make a smooth start but occasionally I just push the pedal and there’s a jolt as the vehicle starts to move. So my question is: Do they all do this? I’ve only driven one other TC and it was before I bought mine so, I don’t remember if the other one did it or not. My other thought is that the little 2.5 engine doesn’t have enough torque that low in it’s powerband so Ford had to set it up that way so it wouldn’t stall. If so I can live with it, but if not, I wouldn’t mind seeing if there is something that could be done. So again, my question is: “Do they all do that?”

Thanks for getting back to me guys. To LostInTransit:It doesn't appear to be temperature related. It does it just the same, hot or cold. To GBL: It has about 7500 miles on it and has had one service at Ford. I haven't checked the trans fluid level, naively assuming that Ford filled to the proper level the first time. Perhaps I should check it just to be sure.

It should not be an issue but on select TC's the left half shaft seal can quietly leak. The way to check the Fluid is not convenient, and often over looked. This could lead to a low level.

If the level is proper then it could be the computer in the car getting use to your driving habits.

I always check the level first because one of the major causes of Automatic transmission Shifting problems is the fluid level.