Ford Transit Connect Forum

Purchasing a New 16TC - XLT

Hey all, new member here... First post.

I've been a Jeep guy for my adult life. First a Cherokee, then two brand new Wranglers (2010 / 2015). I've been fortunate enough for the last 4 years or so to have a zero mile commute. This changed this year as I shifted my career, entered graduate school, and became an educator with a commute.

My local Ford dealer offered me 23K trade in on my 2015 Wrangler with roughly 27k miles on it. That's a great value and a wonderful aspect of the Jeep (specifically wrangler brand). I paid 24 for the car.

I want to order a 16TC XLT but am undecided on a wagon vs van. I don't have kids, nor is that the plan with my wife for any foreseeable future. We are in our late 20's/30's and since we are both educators we have a significant amount of time in the summer to travel.

Could you drop the seats and be able to sleep on top of them? Or just purchase the van and build a nice elevated sleeping platform with storage below.

Curious if any other campers / travelers are using and their rationale.

The seats fold completely flat on the LWB version. Here is a window sticker for an XlT to show what the standard features are.

Because of the full head liner the sound proofing is much better. The headliner does make the addision of a Roof rack harder,

So if you want a rack get a TC with that option from the factory.

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=616

My 2015 LWB TC Wagon was easily long enough and flat enough with the seats folded to allow sleeping. But I wanted to maximize cargo space so I removed them entirely. With the front row fully to the rear and all 2nd and 3rd row seats removed, you'll have 7ft in length at floor level tapering to 6ft3in at headrest level. Narrowest point on width at floor level is 45", and height to headliner is 45" too. If you leave the seats in, you'll loose about 6in of height. Here's a photo of my 2015 LWB XLT with seats out and plywood/rubber floor added to cover the seat gap.

Wagon to Van 1

• 2 weeks later...

If a mattress is desired in your new investment, I've forwarded an email to Pittman outdoors and here's their response:

Perhaps this is something to look forward to.

Thanks for that, greatly appreciated.

Good news, found a nice deal on a 2016 XL LWB with pretty basic features:

Cloth Seats

Passenger and Rear Glass

Security Glass

Otherwise, thats it... pretty stripped down. Not even a CD player, what the heck is a CD anyway? lol

Once again, the Jeep came in with an insane trade in (my second time trading in a wrangler) so my payments went from 280 with the Jeep to 166 on the Transit. A real life saver for my wife and I, considering I am a full time (key, non-working) graduate student.

Picking her up Friday, excited!

Correct. Now get a Bluetooth adapter for audio streaming and you're covered. CDs belong to the shelf.

Otherwise, thats it... pretty stripped down. Not even a CD player, what the heck is a CD anyway? lol
Edited by mrtn

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Interesting discussion in re: getting a wagon vs cargo van.

Typically, the cargo van will cost a little less.  But for the cost difference, you get a whole lot more with a passenger wagon.  Seats.  Rear air conditioning vents.  Rear air conditioning controls.  Extra speakers.  An interior.  And windows.

Unless you are planning on commercial activity, you don't need a cargo van.  As a person who has driven cargo vans, and love them, my major complaint is the lack of glass.  I turn my head to check my blind spot, and all that I see is the inside of my van.  Sure, you want to trust your mirrors.  After all, when you're behind the wheel of a truck, the mirrors are all you have so you learn to trust them.  The lack of insulation makes for a lot of road noise, and works against your heating and cooling system.  The beauty of the van is that you get to use the entire van, with nothing getting in the way.  I would hate to think about folding down my seats, then forklift loading a pallet in there.  And with a van, you can comfortable drill all the holes that you want to install any and every combination of roof rack, cargo hook, spot lamp, back up camera, work light, tool box, fire extinguisher, et cetera.  Ever consider having to tear out and reinstall your interior in order to run a wire?  And all that steel paneling provides privacy when you discreetly abduct people.  Nobody will see your victim struggling against the cable ties and duct tape.  Nothing ruining your upholstery with tools, grease, and construction debris.  

It all makes you think of simply buying a pickup truck, installing a ladder rack, and fabricating your own tent with tarp and bungee cords.

4 hours ago, 103west43rd said:

Fifty150, a pallet is not a worry in the second generation Transit Connect, there is not enough interior room between the rear wheels. Only the first generation has enough room.

That all depends on the size of the pallet.

The Gen 1 has 48.1" Between the Wheel house's . The Gen 2 Van has 48.3" between  the Wheel house's. The Gen 2 Wagon has 46.9" between the wheel house's.  The Gen 1 is 6+" inches taller .  If the 48"X48"  is not to high it will fit in both Vans.
I miss the Gen 1 270 degree door opening.

Edited by G B L

• 8 months later...
On 9/7/2016 at 9:21 PM, 103west43rd said:

Fifty150, a pallet is not a worry in the second generation Transit Connect, there is not enough interior room between the rear wheels. Only the first generation has enough room.

Nope, just measured the one 2016 I picked up Friday, just over 48".
 What you don't have is the weight capacity with a lot of pallets being 2,000lbs

Edited by MLB