Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
ang210

Can I add OEM Cruise control to vehicle that came without it

I a have already replaced the steering wheel with one that had the controls. The controls are illuminated now. What else is necessary to activate the cruise control?

Do not be surprised if you find out that you have to get the ECM programmed to accept the cruise control

Of course you have to go to a Ford dealership that has invested perhaps up to $5000 for an ECM programmer

Most important such a dealership needs to have a sharp technician

The after market version of the cruise control: Is that available from Ford? If yes then that would be the way to go

I had a 2004 Focus wagon and they added the cruise control by the Ford dealership

Go to another Ford dealer, preferably larger

Ask the service manage if they can add cruise control using OEM components

This after market kit will be just fine until it conks out, then Ford service will say "we cannot fix it as it is not Ford"

Update

I discovered I needed a different cluster.

I purchased a used cluster with lower mileage than the original. I installed the new cluster to test it and everything still works. In addition the information controls now work. The cruise control still cannot be turned on. 

I think the PCM may need to be programmed to the new cluster. Does anyone know if that is the case?

Existing Cluster  DT1T-10849-PD       Replacement cluster DT1T-10849-SCC

I cannot find different part numbers for the clock-spring or Steering Angle Sensor Module. I believe they are the same in all models.

I am in the process of doing the same thing but I travel a lot and I am barely home to work on the van.  

What are you using to program your van, IDS or FORScan and it says you installed the cluster in your van but did you program the cluster and change the Central Configuration in the BCM yet?

Wow I just read the dates of the post and you have been working on this for a while

Edited by dinocarsfast
read previous posts

I had the new cluster programmed and cruise still does not work. After looking at two similar vans one with Cruise the other without the harness part numbers are different.  It looks like a new wiring harness may be  needed from steering column to BCM. I will update as soon as I know. 

Have been using IDS. A local guy has the software and is willing to attempt.  Harness is expensive. Trying to locate one from a wreck and if not then will try to run the missing wires.

Crossing my fingers this works. Anyone else have any suggestions? For the record I had the cluster programmed so the mileage read the same as mine.

You said you programmed the new cluster but did you change the vehicle configuration "as built" in the BCM?  I will be doing this next weekend or some time soon so I will let you know how it goes.

Verified no harness is needed. All the wiring is in place. Will have the BCM bits modified this week using bits I found from other vans that have cruise control. Will post my results after I accomplish this. I believe a BCM modification and an IPC modification will be required.