Ford Transit Connect Forum

Winter Tires

giro

Is anyone using them or planning to do so? The Transit Connect comes equipped with a Continental all-season tire that has a load index of '95' in a tire size of 205/65R15. In this tire size, most winter tires seem to have a lower load rating although I have found 2 tires with a higher load rating of '99': the Continental IceContact and the Nokian Hakkapellitta R. The Nokian is quite expensive and the Continental, I believe, is studded. I would prefer less expense and no studs!

Is anyone using them or planning to do so? The Transit Connect comes equipped with a Continental all-season tire that has a load index of '95' in a tire size of 205/65R15. In this tire size, most winter tires seem to have a lower load rating although I have found 2 tires with a higher load rating of '99': the Continental IceContact and the Nokian Hakkapellitta R. The Nokian is quite expensive and the Continental, I believe, is studded. I would prefer less expense and no studs!

I looked into Hakkapeliitta for my Saab wagon. Many Saab owners use them. I ended up purchasing the Hankook i-Pike W409. I liked them so much I put a studded set on my old Volvo 240 turbo wagon. I think the load was mid-90s...probably $80-$90 each....Both cars easily handle winter in upstate NY. I'll run these if they're available when I purchase my Connect.

Perhaps you've already come across these and have no interest in Hankook. Just throwing it out there.

• 11 months later...

I looked into Hakkapeliitta for my Saab wagon. Many Saab owners use them. I ended up purchasing the Hankook i-Pike W409. I liked them so much I put a studded set on my old Volvo 240 turbo wagon. I think the load was mid-90s...probably $80-$90 each....Both cars easily handle winter in upstate NY. I'll run these if they're available when I purchase my Connect.

Perhaps you've already come across these and have no interest in Hankook. Just throwing it out there.

I just did my search and I also picked the i-Pike W409.In reviews, almost all of the 30+ people gave it a 5 star out of 5 for Snow Traction and Wear. Most noted some loss of Dry and Wet Traction over a stock tread. Most noted some Noise. Almost all would buy it again. It got high marks for Ice Traction also.

I do but we get 5-6 months of snow coverage a year and they're mandatory from 1st of december to 15th of march or so. Right now I have some cheap Kleber studless winter tires. They performed adequately last winter.

A rule of thumb: the narrower the tire the better it performs in snow.

• 3 months later...

I almost got stuck yesterday in the mud. When I went to work the ground was solid. By 6 pm the thaw had been in full swing, as moved ahead I could feel myself sink down deeply and had that oh shit feeling. A little forward and back, a bit more sinking and a bit more gas. Actually flung dirt across the road.

But it pulled me out I was impressed and thankfull.

Kumho winter tires.

Mud about six inches deep and then had to claw over the curb.