Ford Transit Connect Forum

Roof Rack for my 2015 TC XL LWB

nnd

I want to install my Yakima roof rack on my TC and ALL the images I see on the net show the racks NOT installed in the track that is already there. The track with some plugs already in them. Cannot find any information on what is SUPPOSE to go in those tracks. Can anyone help me find that info? Why do they not use that rut to install roof racks??

Your best bet would be some universal rack track that fits in the roof channel. I forget the brand, but somebody in another thread went through the same quandary as you and came out with that solution. I agree that the OEM rails are too expensive to buy unless you get them from included at the factory!

Here's an option suggested by Windguy that is 1) Reasonably Priced and 2) Mounts in the OEM holes in the roof
http://www.vantech.us/Transit-Connect-2014-On-J1000-rack-2-Bar-50-bars-Black-J1202B.htm

Actually looks pretty good to me...

(It was posted by Windguy in this post)

And here's Bob248's solution with universal track (also from Vantech)

Yakima doesn't make an adapter to mount their roof rack on a TC yet. Frankly, the factory rails are not rated to be strong enough to carry more than one bicycle. 50 pounds is their max. So unless you have a higher end racing bike, one is the max, because that weight rating includes the rack and rails and bike holders.

I was waiting to see who was going to be first, Thule or Yakima. Thule was first, so I went with them.

The Podium foot and 3032 adapter fit well, and you are ready to mount the 52 inch square rails and bike carriers of your choice. Don't use the front holes. I used the second and fourth.

Edited by bikinchris

• 2 weeks later...

Actually Thule offers racks starting at about $499 for the TC, but they say at their site that installation requires access to the underside of the roof - meaning the headliner would need to be removed. They recommenced professional installation.

• 6 months later...

I bought the Ford roof rails and had them installed by a body shop because they have to drop the head liner to get the rails in.. Then when you have the rails in the predrilled and plugged holes you can attach your rack....   It cost me some bucks... but it works.