Ford Transit Connect Forum

Ford's XLT Transit Connect Wagon Brings Added Comfort And Convenience Features

Ford's XLT Transit Connect Wagon Brings Added Comfort And Convenience Features

01-transit-connect-630.jpg

* Ford Transit Connect – 2010 North American Truck of the Year – is expanding its lineup with the addition of a Transit Connect XLT Premium Wagon offering

* Transit Connect XLT Premium Wagon offers seating for five passengers with enhanced interior appointments and visibility from integrated blind-spot mirrors, a rear view camera and flip-open rear quarter windows

Ford Transit Connect Forum – A new personal-use package for the 2011 Ford Transit Connect debuted today at the 2010 Los Angeles Auto Show.

The XLT Premium Wagon offers more comfort and visibility for second-row passengers, something customers have been asking for since the small, fuel-efficient van went on sale in the United States in 2009.

“Since Transit Connect arrived here as the ‘ultimate tool’ for small business proprietors, we’ve heard requests from potential personal-use customers,” said Rob Stevens, chief nameplate engineer for Commercial Vehicles. “Buyers looking for a taller wagon with seating for five passengers and generous cargo space have shown significant interest in Transit Connect.”

XLT Premium Wagon offers enhanced second-row passenger comfort, including cargo space surface trim, wheelhouse covers and flip-open rear quarter windows for draft-free ventilation.

This personal-use package gives owners and drivers additional confidence with blind-spot sideview mirrors, rear view camera, rear cargo door windows and privacy glass.

Transit Connect was named North American Truck of the Year in January 2010, selected by journalist jurors for its unique combination of car-like ride, 135 cubic feet of cargo space, 1,600-pound payload capacity and unmatched fuel efficiency – up to an EPA-rated 26 mpg highway.

All Transit Connect models – including XLT Premium Wagon – are assembled at the Ford Otosan joint-venture production facility in Kocaeli, Turkey, and are available at North American Ford dealerships.

Ok maybe its just me but the extra windows make the transit look even more soccer mom minivan ish than it already does. Don't get me wrong I wish my back windows opened but adding more windows doesn't seem like the right fit for this vehicle. I mean there is no third row seat, to benefit from this view. These windows take away wall space for cargo, and you lose the security/privacy of the rear cargo area.

I'll keep my manly utilitarian transit.

plymouth_voyager_85.jpg

Edited by zepper

I held off buying a 2010 with the hope of an upgraded power train and the addition of the full-windowed version. Half that wish list has now come true. With this version the TC is getting harder to hold off purchasing. It's 90% the vehicle for me. Unfortunately the remaining 10% is the deal-breaking archaic power train. If Ford can get this closer to 28mpg combined it'll be a done deal.

After seeing these pictures I wonder if potential buyers are going to be bummed when they show up at the dealership and see the TC actually comes with hub-caps!!

• 2 weeks later...

The more I think about it and look at the pictures....I'll probably order the current 'two-window' wagon set up. Strange thing...I would really like the rear area interior panels and the rear door storage pockets that come with the Premium. Assuming I'll be able to order these parts from the dealer..I'm betting it will cost more than the $150 separating the XLT and XLT Premium. So it will cost me more to have a Premium XLT without rear windows..kind of funny considering the vehicle.

I like that wagons are now getting body-colored handles. Mirror tops look OK. Don't like the new silver grilles. Could always swap some black ones from the 2010 model.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I think about it and look at the pictures....I'll probably order the current 'two-window' wagon set up. Strange thing...I would really like the rear area interior panels and the rear door storage pockets that come with the Premium. Assuming I'll be able to order these parts from the dealer..I'm betting it will cost more than the $150 separating the XLT and XLT Premium. So it will cost me more to have a Premium XLT without rear windows..kind of funny considering the vehicle.

I like that wagons are now getting body-colored handles. Mirror tops look OK. Don't like the new silver grilles. Could always swap some black ones from the 2010 model.

OK-on the other side-I have a 2010 that I would like to upgrade with the rear windows and fog lights-is that possible, and what about the cost?

I like the real Euro snowflake wheels like other Euro Fords have had... we aren't going to get those as an option huh? I hated the pale imitations so much I just took them off altogether. I can see the utility of steel wheels on a work truck, but how about giving those of us who don't park by feel something pretty to look at?? :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I welcome the addition of the rear portion glass windows. But I think we're hurting more for a gearbox that's more 2011, as oppose to the 1980's vintage one we currently have. Or a manual, or a diesel, or an AWD version.

Also, I wish you'd stop teasing us with those beautiful alloy wheels, when all we have are those ugly, cheap hubcaps.

Other than that, I love my TC. It's a no nonsense work vehicle that I find pleasant to drive despite the noise and the spartan character.

...But I think we're hurting more for a gearbox that's more 2011, as oppose to the 1980's vintage one we currently have. Or a manual, or a diesel, or an AWD version.

Yeah, this is very true. The transmission desperately needs at least one more gear and two would be better. And the engine needs another 30 or so horsepower pretty badly. In hilly country (which is where most of my driving occurs) this thing can be a chore to drive. On flat ground things are fine.

Edited by azdamay

• 9 months later...

I, for one, hope that they do not try to "Fix" all the things that people want changed. I remember when they did that to the Ford Bronco! It went from being a short stubby SUV that was a dream to park and got great fuel mileage, to a massive boat that still had people complaining. What we love about the TC would be lost to the urge to "Fix It!"