Ford Transit Connect Forum

RH Axle keeps popping out??

krisg88

Changed both axles about 6 m9nths ago no problems. Now the rf axle keeps popping out of the trans....

Noticed these are not like regular axles with a clip on the end that locks into the trans...no clip on it...

What holds it into the trans? Is it the pressure from the hold down over the bearing on the axle shaft?? Thats tight on here but maybe it needs to be replaced?? Axle still looks brand new..

Any thought?? Thanks!!
Mods posted this under transmissions but realized it may get more views here, please delete is possible. Thank you!

If the out board bearing is mounted on the engine then the only way that could come out of the trans if that carrier

bearing slipped on the half shaft. Did the right shaft come as a complete unit?

Is there a circlip grove on the inboard side of that outboard bearing?

Can you get a picture of the axel and the bearing

the parts diagram is not detailed

Hope this gives you some idea

thanks for the reply. Got it figured out. When i came in this morning i checked the bearing like you mentioned, the hold down clip was in place and bearing was in the correct spot.

Next i removed the bearing carrier from the engine and put it together on the bench, when i tightened up the hold down for the bearing it would not contact the bearing all the way around and the axle bearing would move around in the carrier. Noticed the carrier is worn pretty good and lots of rust where the bearing sits. Have one on order from ford.

Of course the bearing on the axle could be the wrong size and just not big enough but i doubt that. ill be staring with a new carrier first.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!