Ford Transit Connect Forum

Ordering a 2016 TC

I live in Virginia. I ordered a 2016 Short Wheel Base Wagon Transit Connect on September 30. I was told it would take about 6 months.

I have found a website, link below, that says the "order to delivery time for TCs is 22 - 24 weeks.

http://www.arifleet.com/resources/manufacturing-updates/lead-times-downtime-production-delays/

a little bit has to do with when you order versus the time frame of the production line.

as KSTANLY posted, 6 months is a good estimate.

I ordered my 2015 in July 2015 and production started in September that year and the van was made at the end of October.

Delivery to my dealer was mid January, so about 2.5 months after the van was produced.

If you want to special order a van and want to reduced the wait time, one option might be to find a dealer that has a van on order for their stock and see if you make that your order and change the configuration to meet your needs. It's my understanding that they can make changes to the order up until the van is slated for manufacturing. This might accelerate the wait time if you can work it out with the dealer and get your expected pricing. Will take some leg work on your part. Good luck!

Edited by windguy

Thanks to both of you for the information. I want to order a LWB Race Red Titanium Wagon with most all options. I need it by end of March or April. I better get to the dealer today and get it ordered!

Thanks,

Tom

Did you order? If so, did your dealer give you any time frame?

Back in July when I stopped just before actually placing a custom order for a 2016, I was informed the wait would be at least 4-6 months since that's what the 2015s were taking and maybe longer depending on when they switched production lines from 15 to 16. Since the 2016 is just now showing up on the Ford website, I'm guessing I would have been waiting well past the 6 months. I'm glad I've had the 2015 wagon these last four months.

• 4 weeks later...

I just received word that my 2016 SWB Transit Connect XLT Wagon is at the dealer. It totally caught me by surprise. It was ordered on September 30.

The only update I got was that it was "in production" on October 31. That makes it exactly 12 weeks from order to delivery.

That is about half of what I was told and about half of previous experiences of which I have heard.

I have not seen the vehicle yet. Hopefully everything is satisfactory once I see it.

I just received word that my 2016 SWB Transit Connect XLT Wagon is at the dealer. It totally caught me by surprise. It was ordered on September 30.

The only update I got was that it was "in production" on October 31. That makes it exactly 12 weeks from order to delivery.

That is about half of what I was told and about half of previous experiences of which I have heard.

I have not seen the vehicle yet. Hopefully everything is satisfactory once I see it.

that's awesome. I think you just set a record for getting an ordered van the soonest. wow!

keep us posted on how the van looks with pics of course.

Edited by windguy

So, I picked up the vehicle on Christmas Eve.

2016 SWB Transit Connect Wagon XLT, Magnetic color, rear lift gate, stone colored cloth interior, roof rack (for kayak hauling), dual temperature control, auto head lights, and Sync.

So far, so good. No issues with the initial inspection of the vehicle or first 2 days of driving. I am pleasantly surprised at the ride quality. I had forgotten how it drove in the test ride months ago. I usually drive a 2008 Honda Civic, to give some perspective on what I am used to. This is as good or better than the Civic in terms a ride feel, sound level, smoothness of transmission, etc. I admit, I was concerned about the transmission after reading some posts in this forum. So far, it is excellent. No problems syncing up my i-phone.

One observation - the rear view mirror is far forward and high up on the windshield and I have to lean out of my driving position to adjust, at which point I can't adjust for my driving position. Also, it feels unusual to have to look up at the rear view mirror while driving. Not an issue. I just noticed it as unusual for me. Even in my pickup truck, that is not the case.

Most importantly, I purchased the vehicle to haul my bicycles and kayaks. My road bike fits perfectly, up-right, with the front wheel removed, with the 40% side of the rear seat folded and flipped forward. Coincidently, the drops of the handle bars fit snuggly around the flipped up seat base securing the bike is place. There is about 2 inches of length beyond the back of the bike to the lift gate. I checked this out before ordering. I wanted to get the SWB but still be able to fit the bike. Mission accomplished. I am 6 foot 1 inch, to give an idea of the size of the bicycle. The only negative of this set up is that the front passenger seat cannot recline with the bike back there. I will probably do this when I am traveling alone.

When my wife and I are traveling, I will probably remove the rear seats and install fork clamps at the back of the van and roll the bikes in facing the rear. This will allow us to easily carry 2 bikes, luggage, etc and still recline the front seats somewhat. I have to emphasize that this is a great feature of the vehicle for us. Short of getting a much larger minivan or vehicle, I could not find other vehicles with the head space to carry two bikes, upright like this. My wife's Honda CRV cannot do this.

I will get some pictures once the holiday busyness is over.

Finally, I was unable to get any information from the dealer as to why the wait was so short or whether a similar wait should be expected in the future.

Happy Holidays!

good report. glad you're happy so far.

you'll get used to that rear view mirror. I set mine on day 1 and haven't touched it since.

the side view mirrors are excellent and since you have glass all around you'll have good visibility.

I have barn doors and the frame in the middle creates an obstruction that you have to deal with . since you have a liftgate you won't have that.

I had someone come up to me at the beach yesterday with total envy of my van setup. it's a great all around utility vehicle.