Ford Transit Connect Forum

How to connect new speakers ? PLS HELP

elem

Hi guys,

I'm trying to replace standard crappy speakers with something bit better, JBL GTO 527. I came as far as taking the covers off the doors, and unclipping the old speakers. Now, my question is - how do I connect new speaker with that connector ? I suppose I need to cut the wires and put some kind of slide connectors at the end of them ? I attach some photos, would be great if someone could give me me any clue what to do ;)

Thanks in advance !

Oh, btw - I would like to connect my iPod to the radio as well, but haven't got the aux socket installed in my TC. How can I make one up myself ?

post-762-073353700 1287863685_thumb.jpg

post-762-056050800 1287863692_thumb.jpg

Edited by elem

thanks for the info. i did all the research and finally had to order from US. only took 5 days for parcel to arrive though! not a problem to install the speakers with that harness, plug and play! however, i'm disappointed with the sound, it's not much better than it was. quality is obviously bit better, but base is still strugling, not to mention that it's distorted anywhere above level 15 on the radio. have to but new radio i see ....

thanks a lot for your help mate, really appreciate it.

Edited by elem

• 2 weeks later...

It's very hard to get good sub-bass out of any 5 1/4" speaker. Frustrating that the TC has a giant door panel and they only provided for a measly 5 1/4". The distortion you hear when you turn up your radio is because its under-powered amplifier is clipping. You can improve that significantly with a better head unit.

Edited by rlschow

thanks for the info. i did all the research and finally had to order from US. only took 5 days for parcel to arrive though! not a problem to install the speakers with that harness, plug and play! however, i'm disappointed with the sound, it's not much better than it was. quality is obviously bit better, but base is still strugling, not to mention that it's distorted anywhere above level 15 on the radio. have to but new radio i see ....

thanks a lot for your help mate, really appreciate it.

Yes, unfortunately for owners of this particular stock stereo, good sound comes from a clean, pure signal amplification which you will not get. I've posted on here a couple of times about a test install I will be performing for a TC with an upgrade kit I am designing for our Jensen Heavy Duty line that is specifically priced and designed to fill in the void left by Ford with their stereo options. Either you have way underperforming stock unit, or $1,800 Work Solutions computer which most people do not need, which leaves people to go after expensive high-end aftermarket options. One of our application engineers will be performing the install on Tuesday and I am going to post on here how it went for some feedback.

• 1 year later...

You will eventually have to go for an aux amplifier like I did. Got a 2x35W amp with speaker level IN, you can hook it up directly to the powered output pins. You'll need a harness or if you're into soldering and mutilating the connectors you can just make one yourself. I did.

The door sheet metal is huge, you'll need to insulate them with a couple of layers of sound deadening mat per door (some kind of sticky bitumen based material). Will sound much better.