Ford Transit Connect Forum

A couple of phone mounts I am trying

I drive alot, and I use my phone for navigation and audio. Google maps works really well, and there are plenty of options for online and offline audio. I have a brand new TC wagon (just broke the 200 mile mark) and a gig in D.C. this weekend (about 700 miles away), so I was eager to get a mount of some kind worked out. I'm trying two to see which I like. They are both made by Ram Mount, and both are super solid.

The first is a flex-arm universal no-drill mount. The bottom of the mount (forgot to get a pic) is held down by one of the bolts in the seat rail on the passenger side. You take out the bolt, place the mount, and then bolt it down with the seat rail. The "flex arm" is a 1/2" aluminum rod, bendable enough with a knee or a cheater bar but stiff enough that it won't move unless you want it to. I replaced the arm on mine with a much longer rod, to raise the level of the phone. It's routed over to the little space between the dash and the console, and then up. I put a couple bends in to clear my hand while driving and shifting. The top is the typical RAM ball socket, easily adjusted and then once the wignut is tightened it's not going anywhere. I use a magnetic attachment for my phone, but you can get a RAM adapter (or make one) for pretty much any cradle you might want.

This is an unorthodox mount, but I like it. The phone is not in your eyeline, so you do have to glance down at it, but it is within easy reach to control the audio. In spite of being a big presence, it doesn't really impede on the passenger-side space.

I'm gonna split the post so the pics are easier to understand.

Pics of the flex-arm mount (the magnetic cradle isn't attached, but you get the idea):

post-5209-0-93909600-1445582741_thumb.jp

post-5209-0-09661700-1445582803_thumb.jp

The second mount is a RAM suction cup base and double-socket arm (basically forming a ball-and-socket joint at each end). I don't like windshield mounts in general, and in this vehicle they place the phone too far away for my taste anyway. Shown here is my temporary solution. If I decide I like where the phone is, I will mount a base plate somewhere on the passenger side of the radio console that will allow me to place it similarly. Because of the airbag, I would not be comfortable using this mount with my wife riding next to me.

I took a piece of 3/32 lexan and cut it into a circle larger than the suction cup. This was mounted on the dash with 3M "extreme" mounting tape. You will notice the disk is mounted with three stripes down the middle and not all the way to the edges; this is because the dash is not flat in that plane, and the suction cup needs a flat surface. Past experience with this tape tells me that this will be a semi-permanent installation. It will stay as long as you want, but with care and a good cleaning solution it can be removed without permanent damage. The best way to get it off is by working fishing line behind it and then using goof-off or really any citrus-oil based cleaner.

The RAM suction cup mechanism is very strong, in fact I have lifted my microwave with it! (I saw someone do it at a boat show, and of course I couldn't resist.)

I think this position is where I will end up wanting the phone, but again, I will probably mount a permanent base-plate to the side of the radio console. I need to look at some pics and video of the TC's airbags deploying just to be sure I pick a spot that won't endanger my passenger.

Pics of the suction mount and disk: (Please ignore the messy floorboards! That's just debris from the various installs I was trying)

20151022 231849

20151022 231833

Ram Mount

Edited by DarbukaDave

I love the RAM mounts! I initially got the same no-drill seat mount for my last vehicle. https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-316-1AUAnd once I got my TC and moved the mount over found the rod to be too short so also bought a longer one. In the end, since I am planning to keep my TC until it's worn out, I decided to use some RAM parts and some DIY parts to make a custom mount that's more permanent. I remounted the old long riser to a new bulkhead mount attached to the platform I added. I still have the original no-drill mount in case I find another spot I need a mount. I also used RAM parts to make a magnetic mount for my 12v spotlight for easier use in the event of a night tire change being needed. I keep an assortment of extra mounting balls and arms around for whatever comes up unexpectedly. I even used RAM parts to mount a mirror above my computer to be able to see parking area and the walkway to the front door while I am surfing in the den. Much cheaper than a security camera. Coupling the RAM parts with photo tripods and mounts lets you do almost anything that needs mounting and positioning. I just wish RAM offered an assortment of smaller ball sizes so you could fit other existing mounts, like the one on my dash cam, to the RAM ball system. I got lucky with my Tylt wireless charger and was able to use a RAM-to-Garmin ball adapter.

post-5019-0-83335600-1445632981_thumb.jp

post-5019-0-13711200-1445632986_thumb.jp

post-5019-0-00664800-1445632990_thumb.jp

post-5019-0-10198700-1445632996_thumb.jp

After using it for a 1400 mile drive, I prefer the position of the second mount. I think I'll permanently mount a ball somewhere on the radio console so I can use the arms I have. I imagine I will need to fabricate a backing plate so it doesn't pull through the plastic

DarbukaDave: Here's a mounting option you may want to consider since it fits very close to where you mounted your temporary suction cup. It clips into the seams of the dash and has the same AMPS hole pattern as several of the RAM ball bases. But I don't have any personal experience with it. I forgot about it until I saw it in my old browser history. I had decided against it because I wanted my mount further away from the dash.

http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-mounts/vehicle/ford/transit-connect/2014-2016/proclip-angled-mount-854991-14516.cmsv?p_leftorright=0

The instruction sheet has closer pictures of how it mounts.

http://proclipusa.net/instruction.php?sku=854991

There's also one that mounts near the bottom of the air vent on the driver's side of the radio and another that attaches to the driver's side A pillar. Each of the mounts also has custom versions for both Gen 1 and Gen 2 Transit Connects.

Edited by DonShockley

I appreciate the info. I looked at those, but I just didn't like the look of them. The RAM mounts appeal to me more aesthetically.

I ended up gluing a ball mount to the underside of the trim piece that is above the sync screen.

That piece comes out very easily so I could clean and prep it, and Gorilla gel CA glue should hold it for the long haul. I prefer the gel for dealing with textured surfaces like this.

I was concerned that it might rattle or bounce, but even when I tried to make it happen by using 2 arms end-to-end, it was fine. The placement is perfect in that my phone clears everything I need to see, and I can glance at the GPS with one eye on the road. Close enough to touch if I need to but far enough to not be tempted to play around.

20151029 195438