Ford Transit Connect Forum

Thule 3032 Foot Pack and 2015 Transit Wagon Do Not Work

davidschap

Hey guys,

So my dealer hooked me up as part of my lease with a Thule Rack and all the parts. FYI, the 3032 foot pack DOES NOT WORK with a Transit Wagon. There is no way at all to get your fingers up in the headliner to install the bolt needed for the footpack. I even tried to pull down much of the headliner but you cannot get to the spot you need.

I have already emailed Thule and my dealer has been really good to me. The option that is needed to get the foot pack to work is this (

). This is a video of the ladder rack, but as you can see, it used jack bolts as on the 2014-2016 transits, the holes covered by the plastic covers are not threaded.

I have asked my dealer to install these jack bolts for me so I can put my rack on.

Again, mine is a lease but I may buy it when it's all said and done. I really like the Transit and if they don't make many changes in the 2017 model ( mines a 2015 ) I would just assume keep it as my buy out is only $19,000.

Hope this helps you out. I now have 2 of the plugs removed which is no good if it rains ( I live in SoCal so that's not alot, but, it did today so had to cover up with some other plugs and velcro for now ).

Thanx
David

That video is disturbing. The first thing to do after drilling is to rustproof the holes (inside! plenty of body protection compounds available) and put silicone under the plug before screwing it it. No point in smearing it around the plug because it'll dry up and lose its water tightness.

• 3 weeks later...

I viewed a video of installing 'threaded inserts' after first drilling out [enlarging] the holes and there was a drill stop on the drill so the drill would not touch the airbag stuff.

Since yours is a wagon and not a van, what may be going on is that the van does not have top sided air bags mounted past the first row, where as the wagon has top sided air bags mounted in the second row as well

owner of a 2015 LWB wagon

previous owner of a 2010 TC

• 4 weeks later...

The first thing is that Thule says NOT to use the front holes in the roof. You know, the ones right above the air bag.

Second, putting shards of metal inside the roof with a drill is not a good idea.

Third, I used that Thule 3032 foot on my Van, but it doesn't have a headliner. SO I have no idea if getting a nut into the 2nd, 3rd or 4th holes would be easy. I know it was pretty easy on my van.

• 2 years later...

I have the thule  roof rack installed I pulled the roof liner down then put a bolt thru hole pointing up added a nut and washer then installed the 3032 foot then another washer and nut I used all 5 sets of holes the only problem I had was the holes above the passenger doors for the 2nd row seats I sometimes have to move things like matresses and box springs for friends 

getPart-1.jpeg