Ford Transit Connect Forum

Remove rear seats from the wagon

connectkid

I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the rear seats from the 2014 wagon? With the older models its very easy, and in the instruction manual it says that you can. But the manual also says first you must press a yellow button under the seat to unlock the rear support bracket. This button is either non-existent or extremely illusive. Anyone know how to do it?

Edited by connectkid

When I was researching my 2015 TC purchase I saw mention of removable seats in the online manual. After I ended up buying a LWB wagon, I was surprised when I saw no way to just pop out the seats. It turns out only the short wheel base 5 passenger version has the removable 2nd row seats.

However, I decided to remove the seats in my wagon anyway to install the seat covers. Each seat is held in with four T50 bolts and only takes a few minutes to remove. The 3rd row seats have the bolts at each corner of the seat frame and you do need to slide the seat forward and back to access each set of two. The second row seats have pairs of bolts at the front end of each seat rail. These are easy to access with the seat unfolded. Once the bolts are removed it does take a little lifting and wiggling to break the seats loose because there are also locating posts on the bottom of the rails that fit into holes in the floor. But once these are popped out, the seats just lift out. With just myself, the wider part of the 2nd row was a bit heavy but the others were no problem. It is easier to lift out the 2nd row if you fold them flat after unbolting.

In the end, I liked the extra space available with the seats out so decided to leave it that way since I rarely have more than one passenger. I've been slowly working on modifications over the last couple weeks making a flat load floor for the area and using the extra space for storage. I probably need to do a write up with photos to share the info.

Thanks for the response :). I saw the tourque screws and figured that would be the only solution but I wanted to be sure. I bought a wagon because I ended up getting a great deal on it, but I wanted a cargo van. I am a construction foreman. My company has trucks for lumber and other heavy work, but I transport my tools in my van. Which is why the transit connect was so appealing to me. So far just laying the seats down has been alright: but I would love a little more space, so taking the seats out is something I have wanted to do for a while. Also, with the seats out I will have just enough clearance to move the smaller of my two dirtbikes, which would be a serious convenience.

..... I bought a wagon because I ended up getting a great deal on it, but I wanted a cargo van. .......

That's exactly what happened to me. I was planning on custom ordering a van with the special features I wanted, like the LWB and rear liftgate since all the vans had cargo doors and most were SWB. But the wagon had most of what I wanted plus the extra insulation for the Texas heat and had some great incentives at the time. Here's what the wagon looks like with seats removed and flat plywood floor with rubber mat installed.

post-5019-0-98311000-1443618004_thumb.jp

It was 1/4" rubber mat sold by the foot at Tractor Supply.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rb-rubber-multi-mat-rolled-rubber-1-4-in-thick-sold-by-the-foot?cm_vc=-10005

They also have 3/8" if you need more wear or more strength if you go over the carpet instead of over plywood like I did.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rb-rubber-multi-mat-rolled-rubber-3-8-in-thick-sold-by-the-foot?cm_vc=-10005

However, you should know that the thickness you see at the rear of the earlier photo is actually 3 layers of the 1/4" glued together. I stopped the plywood short of the plastic trim at the rear so that the wood wouldn't damage the trim. But this left a 6 inch gap at the rear. When I added the mat, I ran the main piece long past the end of the wood and used 2 more layers underneath to fill the gap. I can just flip it up to access the spare tire lowering mechanism.

post-5019-0-58969900-1443625430_thumb.jp

Edited by DonShockley

• 3 months later...

Great tips...if you wanted to sell the van as a wagon at some point, putting the seats back in would be no big deal I presume?

e

Yes I am curious to how difficult it would be to put the seats back in and be able to sell the car as a wagon. I am trying to convert the wagon to a camper vehicle if possible and starting with a bare floor like this would be great. Has anybody Done a short video showing how to take the seats out or how to put them back.

Installing and removing the seats is a very simple process. There are just four bolts holding each one in. You only need a T50 Torx wrench to remove them. The second row seats have two sets of two bolts at the front corners under some black cover pieces that just snap off for easy access. The third row seats have one at each corner of the seats. You need to move the seat all the way forward to access the rear bolts and then slide it back to access the front ones. Once the bolts are removed, just a little wiggle to break the mounts loose then lift straight up to remove them. There are short locating pins on the bottoms of the mounts that are fairly tight fits into holes in the floor. Putting them back in is as simple as dropping them in, making sure to move them into position so the locating pins hit their holes and the base drops all the way down into position, and installing the bolts.

Here's a thread I made documenting how I removed the seats on my 2015 LWB wagon to make it into a van. Unfortunately, I didn't think to start taking photos until after I had the seats out. But there are several photos in there that show the openings in the floor mat where the bolts were installed. It's the places where you can see the silver metal through the black floor mat.

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/4109-converted-2015-lwb-wagon-into-a-van/?p=11644

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...