Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

Timbo

Doors keep unlocking when driving. Where is the door sensor?

Besides my front-right window not going down, I'm having an issue with the doors unlocking and the interior lights coming on while the van is moving, or moreover and completely understandably, when it first starts moving.

99.9% of the time, the culprit is the right-front door itself. If I open the right-front door, chances are pretty darn good the van won't lock when I close the door, at least not until I've slammed the right door a few times.

This suggests to me that the front door sensor is faulty. Thing is, I don't always have to open the front door for this to happen, though usually that's the cause, and that's got me puzzled.

​Besides being annoying and making me worry I'll shatter the window if I repeatedly slam the door (that happened many years ago on my '63 Falcon van), I fear the issue will worsen and the doors will unlock themselves when the van is in a parking lot with me far away from it.

Has anyone had this problem before, and if so, what was the culprit?

So I'm the only one, huh?  

I took it to the Ford dealer, and they said it was a "door ajar switch".  Problem is, the only door ajar switches are located in the sliding doors.  

The front door sensors are integrated into the door latch / lock system, so they're no individually replaceable.  

It seems hard to believe that a faulty switch on one of the sliding doors could be "set off" by opening the right - front passenger door, but I guess anything is possible.  

I'm going to try replacing one or both of the sliding door switches and see if that fixes the issue.  

Hi Timbo. I have just started to have this same problem but with my main culprit being the driver side front door. I am like you and just can not see a switch for the sliding doors being the problem. From what I can tell by digging around on Google, the switch for the front two doors are located internally in the door lock actuator. RockAuto has this part for $224. Again this is just from what I am understanding and I may be wrong on this. But I can not see spending that kinda money just to find out. But this is for TC's with power door locks. From what I can tell the TC's with manual door locks have a standard door jamb switch on the front doors as well like the sliding doors have. 

Going to keep digging into this as I also get a little nervous about the not locking issue.  Also, you are not the only one anymore.   

On 9/5/2016 at 12:53 AM, Timbo said:

So I'm the only one, huh?  

Not the same problem but I’ve got a 2008 VW Rabbit that has a door lock switch issue.  Folks in the VW community have figured out it is a micro switch that is only available as part of a larger assembly.  Some have replaced the switch with a similar micro switch which is inexpensive.  I’d look to see if that could be done.

Will check into that as well. Love my TC, but this thing sucks when it comes time to make repairs. Very little info on them here in the US.