Jump to content

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

 

transit connect guest message logo.png


   
  •  
    Custom Search





Timbo

Doors keep unlocking when driving. Where is the door sensor?

Recommended Posts

Besides my front-right window not going down, I'm having an issue with the doors unlocking and the interior lights coming on while the van is moving, or moreover and completely understandably, when it first starts moving.

99.9% of the time, the culprit is the right-front door itself. If I open the right-front door, chances are pretty darn good the van won't lock when I close the door, at least not until I've slammed the right door a few times.

This suggests to me that the front door sensor is faulty. Thing is, I don't always have to open the front door for this to happen, though usually that's the cause, and that's got me puzzled.

​Besides being annoying and making me worry I'll shatter the window if I repeatedly slam the door (that happened many years ago on my '63 Falcon van), I fear the issue will worsen and the doors will unlock themselves when the van is in a parking lot with me far away from it.

Has anyone had this problem before, and if so, what was the culprit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
   

I took it to the Ford dealer, and they said it was a "door ajar switch".  Problem is, the only door ajar switches are located in the sliding doors.  

The front door sensors are integrated into the door latch / lock system, so they're no individually replaceable.  

 

It seems hard to believe that a faulty switch on one of the sliding doors could be "set off" by opening the right - front passenger door, but I guess anything is possible.  

I'm going to try replacing one or both of the sliding door switches and see if that fixes the issue.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Timbo. I have just started to have this same problem but with my main culprit being the driver side front door. I am like you and just can not see a switch for the sliding doors being the problem. From what I can tell by digging around on Google, the switch for the front two doors are located internally in the door lock actuator. RockAuto has this part for $224. Again this is just from what I am understanding and I may be wrong on this. But I can not see spending that kinda money just to find out. But this is for TC's with power door locks. From what I can tell the TC's with manual door locks have a standard door jamb switch on the front doors as well like the sliding doors have. 

 

Going to keep digging into this as I also get a little nervous about the not locking issue.  Also, you are not the only one anymore.   

 

On 9/5/2016 at 12:53 AM, Timbo said:

So I'm the only one, huh?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the same problem but I’ve got a 2008 VW Rabbit that has a door lock switch issue.  Folks in the VW community have figured out it is a micro switch that is only available as part of a larger assembly.  Some have replaced the switch with a similar micro switch which is inexpensive.  I’d look to see if that could be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will check into that as well. Love my TC, but this thing sucks when it comes time to make repairs. Very little info on them here in the US. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2018 at 2:00 PM, BSUPC said:

Hi Timbo. I have just started to have this same problem but with my main culprit being the driver side front door. I am like you and just can not see a switch for the sliding doors being the problem. From what I can tell by digging around on Google, the switch for the front two doors are located internally in the door lock actuator. RockAuto has this part for $224. Again this is just from what I am understanding and I may be wrong on this. But I can not see spending that kinda money just to find out. But this is for TC's with power door locks. From what I can tell the TC's with manual door locks have a standard door jamb switch on the front doors as well like the sliding doors have. 

 

Going to keep digging into this as I also get a little nervous about the not locking issue.  Also, you are not the only one anymore.   

 

 

 

I pulled the trigger about a month ago and bought the overpriced door actuator / latch from the Ford dealer.  $331.  

 

Well, it fixed the problem with the front - passenger door unlocking itself, but now the drivers front door is doing it.  =/    Ugh!

 

I can, and might, replace the driver's side, but I'm a little worried that the problem will simply show up someplace else when I do.  You know how electrical gremlins are.  

My luck, the rear doors will start doing it as soon as I fix the driver's door.  

 

The reason why I worry that the problem isn't in the latches themselves, is because before I replaced the passenger side latch, the issue with the driver's side only happened once in a hundred times.  And even when it did, it often took opening and closing the passenger door to fix it (WTH?!)  Now that the right side is fixed (presumably), the driver's side is doing it all the time.  

 

The only difference is that it's much easier to remedy this issue on the driver's side than it was on the passenger side.  What I mean is, I don't have to open and close the driver's side door as many times as I did the passenger side when it did this.  Generally I can just open and re-close the driver's side door a single time to fix the issue.........  until the next time it does it.  

 

I'm not sure I'm relieved to hear the problem is happening to other people, or more worried that this is a bigger problem that Ford has yet to address.  Or maybe even knows about.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Timbo said:

I can, and might, replace the driver's side, but I'm a little worried that the problem will simply show up someplace else when I do.  You know how electrical gremlins are.  

My luck, the rear doors will start doing it as soon as I fix the driver's door.  

 

 

Sounds like we have the same luck. Hate electrical stuff, those are some mean gremlins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it's happened.  The driver's side door, which has been giving me the same grief as the passenger door did since replacing that latch, has started unlocking itself now.

 

I just ordered another $335 door latch from the Ford dealer.  :spend:  My local auto wreckers won't sell me just the latch.  They want me to buy the entire door, and that's more expensive than a new latch.  It would also result in my installing a used latch of questionable reliability.  

 

I hate to throw so much money at a problem that I don't really know the cause of, but at this point it seems like the next-best step before having a comprehensive diagnostic run ($140) to see if they can find the "real problem"..  

 

Does anyone know if there's a module for the doors, somewhere between the doors themselves and the main computer?  

If the new latch doesn't fix the problem, and I fear it might not, that would seem like the next place to look.  

 

~

 

 

 

fullsizeoutput_183.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:39 PM, BSUPC said:

 

 

Sounds like we have the same luck. Hate electrical stuff, those are some mean gremlins. 

 

I don't have the same problem but I'm just annoyed with so-called "improved" technology. I don't want my doors to lock automatically, I want them to lock when I CHOOSE to lock them. Give me some manual locks and I'm happy. Give me some manual window cranks and I'm happy. Seems you have to pay extra to get something simple theses days. KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

 

I don't have the same problem but I'm just annoyed with so-called "improved" technology. I don't want my doors to lock automatically, I want them to lock when I CHOOSE to lock them. Give me some manual locks and I'm happy. Give me some manual window cranks and I'm happy. Seems you have to pay extra to get something simple theses days. KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid.

Me too....all this new tech stuff is supposed to make our life better, but most of us that did not grow up with it find it an annoyance!

The first thing I changed (shut off) as soon as I got home was the auto door locks. The second was the seatbelt chiming at me. The day I get the outside perimeter lights changed into "dark mode" I'll be a happy TC owner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, desert_connect said:

Me too....all this new tech stuff is supposed to make our life better, but most of us that did not grow up with it find it an annoyance!

The first thing I changed (shut off) as soon as I got home was the auto door locks. The second was the seatbelt chiming at me. The day I get the outside perimeter lights changed into "dark mode" I'll be a happy TC owner. 

How did you "shut off" the auto door locks? I don't mind the seat belt reminding me so much but I despise the chiming that occurs simply with the front door open. I'd love to find a way to turn that sucker off that didn't involve a dealership or a degree in computer programming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

How did you "shut off" the auto door locks? I don't mind the seat belt reminding me so much but I despise the chiming that occurs simply with the front door open. I'd love to find a way to turn that sucker off that didn't involve a dealership or a degree in computer programming.

I just followed the instructions in the owners manual, same as I've done in the past with other vehicles. Follow the sequence listed in the required time allotment....done. If you don't get the sequence correct the first time just do it over until it works (doesn't work!).

 

I still have the door open key in ign. chime too and doubt there is an easy way to shut that one off. On my 93 F250 I pulled the ringer module, found the corresponding spade for the door/ign key bell, folded it over and then re-installed the module so the truck would run again. Doing this on a new vehicle these days might upset the computer, but I don't know that for sure. 

 

I've read that in the early 2000's around 05' or so on the F series pickups and E vans a person could shut off the perimeter lighting when a door was open themselves by using a similar sequence like the auto door locks. But sadly, Ford seems to have done away with that option.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, desert_connect said:

I just followed the instructions in the owners manual

 

Doh! The RTFM command!:drop:

 

Mine is a paperweight on my desk:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be installing the new latch this weekend and will report back to let folks know if it fixed the problem or moved to another door switch. :spend:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is getting worse. Guess I am going to have to break down and put a new one in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully parts prices aren't as insane on your side of the country as they are over here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Online they are cheaper. But a trip to the local parts house or local dealer sales counter will cost you your first born, an arm, a leg, and a ear. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BSUPC said:

But a trip to the local dealer sales counter will cost you your first born, an arm, a leg, and a ear. 

 

 

 

Yep.  I just shelled out another $335 for my second door latch.  :spend: I'm not comfortable buying those Chinese knockoffs you see on eBay or random auto parts-houses.  

 

If it were a door, pin switch I were installing, sure, I'd order from whoever had the best price, but these front door latches are sufficiently complicated that I don't want to take any chances with cheap, no-name manufacturers.  

 

1 hour of labor later, and everything is working fine.  Let's hope it stays that way.  

 

 

~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×