Ford Transit Connect Forum

roof racks

connectkid

I need help. I have a 2014 TC LWB Wagon. I am a construction foreman and I want to put heavy duty racks on it. Only problem is, it currently has factory roof bars on it. How can id remove the roof bars to make way for a ladder rack. Or, what are some brands of some good roof racks that clip onto the bars? I may keep them and buy a bar set if I can find a good one.

• 1 month later...

The first thing you need know is that the factory rack is not rated for heavy loads. You can sell that rack for a decent price since new roof racks are a whole lot of money.

There are a lot of companies who make good heavy duty roof racks, capable of carrying ten times what the factory rack is rated at.

I need help. I have a 2014 TC LWB Wagon. I am a construction foreman and I want to put heavy duty racks on it. Only problem is, it currently has factory roof bars on it. How can id remove the roof bars to make way for a ladder rack. Or, what are some brands of some good roof racks that clip onto the bars? I may keep them and buy a bar set if I can find a good one.

there is already a three page thread that discusses roof rack options for Gen 2 TC's (2014 and newer) so check that out for starters.

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/2406-roof-attachment-points-on-2014-transit-connect/

I agree with what bikinchris said. The OEM rails and cross bars have a max load limit, which is probably light duty.

I'm sure the aftermarket rack solutions are much better, but they would know the max load rating for their products.

I've seen in parking lots like Home Depot Gen 2 TC's with some beefy looking ladder racks on tradesman vans.

keep us posted on what you find out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello.  These look great.  I have a 2016 Titanium and would like to do something similar.  My question is was it difficult to remove the roof rails (if yours had them) and can this all be done from the exterior and not have to drill through the van roof?  Thank you win advance.  I seem to get conflicting answers around the www.  

4 hours ago, Mark A said:

Hello.  These look great.  I have a 2016 Titanium and would like to do something similar.  My question is was it difficult to remove the roof rails (if yours had them) and can this all be done from the exterior and not have to drill through the van roof?  Thank you win advance.  I seem to get conflicting answers around the www.  

I believe the side rails are bolted from the inside in 5 locations on each side.  If you see a van without the side rails they will have plastic caps covering the holes.  I dont have any pictures now but I think eddwal50's pictures show the 5 locations 

This is  what Page 134 of my owner's manual say's.   I think the rating has more to do with Vehicle stability then any other factor.

Maximum Load Weights
Do not exceed the following maximum
roof rack load weights.
Maximum Load lb
(kg)*
Variant
Wagon - short 132 lb (60 kg)
wheel base with
panoramic roof
panel
Wagon - short 165 lb (75 kg)
wheel base with
metal roof panel
Wagon - long 165 lb (75 kg)
wheel base
Van 165 lb (75 kg)
*Evenly distribute the load on the roof rack.

The low load limits are only derived from safe center of gravity. This is to prevent the car from tipping over when overloaded and top-heavy. You can safely install a pop-up tent on sleep on the roof rack together with your companion.

Yah mrtn, I was wondering about that.  That's good to know.  I was concerned that the built in bracket points might not support extra weight.  With the heavy duty roof rack, and the added cargo basket, plus cargo it's easy to exceed 225 lbs.  Fortunately the cargo in the van plus my son's weight helped to stabilize the extra weight on the roof.  :whistling:I believe he has driven enough across the country in most geographical and weather conditions safely that he knows the limits of the van.  He is headed to Oregon next.  Last year he fell in love with the southern states especially Florida.  This year he is doing the same on the west coast.  :rating:

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2015 at 2:19 PM, connectkid said:

Rhino bars are by far the best racks

Rhino-Rack makes a heavy duty rack, rated at 220 lbs., for the Gen 1 TC's.  https://www.etrailer.com/multi-product.aspx?pc1=RLZ01-DC&pc2=&vehicleid=2012988275&hhmake=Ford&hhmodel=Transit Connect&hunter=roof&roofkit=BK_2,SKI_1,C_24,AWN_2,BAG_1,BSK_2&manuf=RHINO

If you plan to add a basket on top of those, it will require longer bolts or u-bolts than comes with the basket.  Longer stainless steel bolts or u-bolts can be found at Fastenal. https://www.fastenal.com/