Ford Transit Connect Forum

Power Inverter

AVG

Hello everyone,

I just bought a new 2015 Transit Connect LWB cargo van w/ ecoboost engine. I would like to install a power inverter to charge power tool batteries and run lights and corded power tools off of it (like a hammer drill). I am looking at a 1500w pure sine wave inverter and was wondering if the stock battery and alternator will work with it or do I need to upgrade?

If I need to upgrade, how will this affect the performance of my van?

Also, my van has the upfitter wiring harness. My salesman was unable to tell me what wire is run where and what I could use it for. Does anyone know what this is? Will it help me with installing the power inverter?

Thanks.

.....Also, my van has the upfitter wiring harness. My salesman was unable to tell me what wire is run where and what I could use it for. Does anyone know what this is? Will it help me with installing the power inverter?

Thanks.

Here is the Ford Body Builders Layout Book which has a reference to the Upfitter Wiring Harness (86G).

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2015/2015_Transit_Connect_v1-0.pdf

But it just seems to show connections to the Taxi wiring harness. It may be the same thing just by another name.

If so, you should have fuses at the rear cargo area fuse box in the following spots: F38, F41, F42, and F27.

But even if those are the same circuits, it won't help with a 1500W inverter. 1500W/12v=125 Amps.

The biggest of the taxi circuits is only 40A, I would think you would need some dedicated batteries for that large a demand. Although you may be able to use one of those feeds as a charging supply.

I just got my 2015 Wagon last week and had been considering doing a custom order on a 2016 Van to get the Upfitter Wiring Harness.

If there's no documentation and the dealer doesn't know where to access the wiring, I'm glad I didn't go that route.

My whole goal would have been using OEM supplied wires for my future add-ons. Can't do that properly without documentation.

Edited by DonShockley

congrats to both of you on your new vans.

regarding the upfitter wiring harness, I can't recall the details, but remember looking into that before ordering my van last year and it was just a series of switches on the dashboard, nothing else special. didn't seem worth it to me at the time so I passed.

I too am interested in adding an inverter down the road and perhaps a house battery for camping purposes. One reason I'd like to capture that space below the platform, as discussed in other treads, to put these things. I think it would be lot cleaner to have an aux battery with inverter so you keep that isolated from your main starter battery and electronics. keep us posted on what you find out.