Ford Transit Connect Forum

Towing with the Transit Connect

• 5 weeks later...

1, my brother has towed a teardrop style trailer for about 2 years now with no issues. 2, his Mazda Miata is rated for like 1000-1200, so I feel ok towing with my TC. Plus, the UK version is rated to tow with the only difference being a 1.6l TDI engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. And since a Focus is rated for 1000lbs etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello there! I need to decide if I put on a hitch for a scooter lift, need your help in your experience but my TC 2012 is compressed natural gas, so the present problem is the tonge weight and the negative recommendation from ford in USA for not towing, some seller from lifter states that for the manual Ford TC states so, in some web sell the hitch for TC you know with limited 350 tonge weight, and the lifter and scooter will use this weight on the tonge only, so what do you think? Any comments will be appreciated thanks.

I read al the comments but not one have a compressed natural gas running towing somethings.

That is my TC.

received_1277869505573712.jpeg

The recommendation for not towing is just related to the Focus engine/transmission combo Ford found in the parts bin for the US model. The body is perfectly good for towing so you can install the lift with no issues if you have room for it.

• 1 month later...

Seems to be independent of manufacturer, the towing capacity in Europe appears to always be at least double that in the US/Canada for the "same" vehicle.  It seems it really is a difference between DOT specs vs Euro specs versus what the vehicle can actually do.  I believe all Euro trailers need to be equipped with trailer brakes, where DOT does not have those requirements until one exceeds a certain load capacity - I'm sure that figures in...

The standard hitch in Europe for VW and BMW is Westfalia or Bosal, with their 50mm ball on swan neck. These do not carry the DOT approval for whatever reason. (50mm ball, and no square receiver withstanding) They are rated at over 2000kg.  Nothing is available in the states over class 1, per the manufacturer recommendation.

I'd say, part DOT rules, part EPA rules, part warranty issues, part liability.  For example, VWs DSG transmission (their dual-clutch automatic) won awards in Europe for towing ability, where VWNA tells US no towing whatsoever for the DSG - do not even install a hitch to carry bicycles.  That has to be a warranty question.  Once towing, the additional loading now runs afoul of EPA emissions issues. (no VW diesel jokes here, please)

So given all that, the different US vs Euro engine/transmissions availability, differing liability concerns to the manufacturers, yada yada, all add to Ford's de-rating of the Connect for towing.  An interesting liability situation comes up when the manufacturer says no towing, the hitch company offers a class 3, and an accident involving towing comes up.  Would your insurance company cover the driver's liability when violating Ford's written recommendation?  Could the hitch maker become liable?  

I have a factory tow bar (swan neck) and I tow weekly (or twice a week) with my 10' light trailer (1000 lbs payload) no brakes. The trailer is actually very durable and takes twice the payload without a squeak. I once loaded too much sand on it and the axle looked to be sitting really close to the spring bumpers. I calculated the sand weight by volume afterwards and it was 4000 lbs! Sand is really tricky, never thought it was this heavy.

The TC is a very capable tow rig.  The 2 inch reciever is great because it makes towing hardware usable on more vehicles. The tow rating is a product of the Warranty department, and the Lawyers . The sporty nature of the  TC  Survives  towing  quite well. 

mrtn sandbaged?

As someone already posted, pay attention to the transmission fluid and its change intervals. I got a tranny back from rebuilder and was told the wear issue it had was from not being changed properly and not from heat. My TC has a simple w unfinned exchanger and will probably get a bit better unit as they are cheap and easy to install.

Total rebuild including valve body and drum with update $2300. Probably would have been better off getting a rebuild online but shop is very good and does not take short cuts.

May be getting hitch so I can use a kayak loader 

Good info  on the transmission.  The Gen 1 has a 4 speed trans with a pan that you take off when the fluid gets changed. I suspect that the filter was not  installed properly . The Gen 2's filter can not be changed with out spliting the transmission case.  In any event  making sure the fluid is not over heated by towing is the major point.

From looking at the filter and the transmission pan and its pretty simple affair to change on the Gen 1 and I got a Wix filter with gasket  for under $18 ttd from Amazon. Only a 3 quart capacity so if the fluid is poor and dirty I can see things going bad pretty fast. If I were to do a change annually my outlay would be around $35+- using a Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic.

I wonder if there is a transmission temp monitor that one can monitor via the OSB2 port? Will have to hook up the bluetooth OSB device to the torque app and see. Moving to south TX and heat could be a issue.

On 9/15/2009 at 4:46 AM, isellford said:

This is a quote right out of the owners manual " WARNING: Never tow a trailer with this vehicle. Your vehicle is not equipped to tow. No towing packages are available through an authorized dealer"

My, how things have changed.

tow.jpg

On 9/21/2016 at 3:04 PM, Prairie Pyro said:

From looking at the filter and the transmission pan and its pretty simple affair to change on the Gen 1 and I got a Wix filter with gasket  for under $18 ttd from Amazon. Only a 3 quart capacity so if the fluid is poor and dirty I can see things going bad pretty fast. If I were to do a change annually my outlay would be around $35+- using a Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic.

I wonder if there is a transmission temp monitor that one can monitor via the OSB2 port? Will have to hook up the bluetooth OSB device to the torque app and see. Moving to south TX and heat could be a issue.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FZ1JS5Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61J40xHfsML._SL1000_.jpg61i3tcEf2qL._SL1000_.jpg

I have a obd2 bluetooth unit and have the torque lite app loaded to a Samsung Tab. Just used it yesterday to clear a evap code after cleaning the fuel cap gasket on a Nissan. Thinking of buying the full version for $5.

The picture you showed nothing on tranny?

I can get a decent Hyden Harden? fined 15x5x1 cooler kit for $20 so will run with that and change fluids on a regular basis.

Edited by Prairie Pyro
spelling, additional info

Will do. I just got the van back this afternoon with the low miles engine and the totally rebuilt transmission. New ball joints and front brakes with drilled and slotted rotors. Everything is running and stopping smooth. Will be doing some minor running around to get things and maybe see Magnificent 7 this weekend and have the shop check everything again on Monday. If I feel brave I might order the reciever hitch.