Ford Transit Connect Forum

Mods so far...

I have a 2015 TC ecoboost SWB wagon. I started modifying as soon as I got home. This lit will help me remember it all. And maybe Ford will listen too. Of course there are those damn US regulations.

1. Removed the cross bars for gas milage.

2. Pulled the rear bench seat to storage > 100# lost

3. Installed removable rubber floor mats in the cargo area for dirt and sound deadening

4. Removed the intake muffler in front of the radiator, it makes it quiet but restricts airflow. With it gone I have a factory cold air intake. Probably standard in Europe...And this thing has a nice air filter box w/360 degree filter.

5. Stuffed 4" foam into all the rear quarter interior panels for sound deadening. Right thru the access panels.

6. Replaced all interior lights with LED's, 4 in all, I camp a lot and I don't like dead batteries. Pisses me off that the exterior lights stay on when the door is open. Maybe I can reprogram that, or more LEDs

At this point I was ready to get adventurous...

7. Removed the rear interior door panels to find they were designed with 3/4" space for sound deadening but there was nothing there. I guess you have to get the Titanium for that. Mine is an XLT so I just stuffed 1" of fiberfill in there and closed it up. Wow what a difference!

8. Ok, now I know, I proceeded to remove the front door panels and rear hatch and stuff them full of foam or something...and now I drive a Titanium. I was thinking about getting the rear badge and sticking it on...

9. Got sticky rubber stair treads and installed them on the rear bumper for accessing the roof. Cut several pieces to fit perfectly, it looks factory. Where did that go Ford?

10. Tinted the front windows to 30% and put a tinted windshield visor down to the AS line that's Lemo black. The AC works much better now.

11. Where the rear seats mount there are two little 1/4" holes near the doors that actually go thru to the outside. I plugged them with sealant. It's quieter and it'll float longer now.

12. Got a cargo carrier for the receiver hitch, I can carry another box of gear without a loss of aerodynamics.

Results:

1. You have to close the doors with a little more effort since the air seal is so tight, or crack a window.

2. She is quiet and comfortable at 100 MPH!

3. I have never gotten less than 26 MPG on a tank. I've gotten as high as 30 on a full tank. My miles to empty is up to 427 on a full tank. I have gotten 34.9 for 45 miles in tight fast moving traffic. I can reliably get 32 MPG if I drive 65 and baby it.

Next Mods:

1. LED exterior lights

2. Remove a muffler...there is a resonator and a muffler. I hear removing the resonator doesn't make much difference, so maybe I'll remove the muffler and make it load!! I will get 35 MPG before I'm done.

3. Maybe a computer tuner, they have settings for MPG. And maybe I can reprogram those stupid lights...

This van is everything I expected and It will only get better. I'll keep you posted..

• 3 weeks later...

11. Where the rear seats mount there are two little 1/4" holes near the doors that actually go thru to the outside. I plugged them with sealant. It's quieter and it'll float longer now.

Hahaha, I worry about that too.

Haven't bought mine yet but on the light stays on thing, what about a rear door area mounted on/off lite switch that tricks the latch switch into thinking it's closed when it's open?

I plan to sound deaden all the doors on my van, I have not tried to pull the sliding door panels yet. Any tips on how to remove them?

sorry I missed your post. I have a few pics in my gallery on how to remove the panels. Click on the pic below to go there.

Advice on how to remove the clips came from other forum members in a previous thread.

I've only done the ones on the rear barn doors so far just to explore what's behind them.

It's on my list to replace or finish the stock material, which doesn't appear to be very waterproof or durable.

door planel fastener 02

Edited by windguy

sorry I missed your post. I have a few pics in my gallery on how to remove the panels. Click on the pic below to go there.

Advice on how to remove the clips came from other forum members in a previous thread.

I've only done the ones on the rear barn doors so far just to explore what's behind them.

It's on my list to replace or finish the stock material, which doesn't appear to be very waterproof or durable.

I got the rear doors done over the past weekend, very easy to get the 4 panels off and get the deadener installed. I will be slowly working my way forward, its not the best time of year here to be working outside. I will try to take a few pictures as I continue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Lisle Plastic Fastener Remover makes short work of the dreaded panel fasteners of doom...also where you can get replacement fasteners.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I meant the crossbars for the roof rack, No point in taking that aerodynamic hit unless you actually need to use them. Although they do look cool.

Edited by bahavw

• 1 year later...