Ford Transit Connect Forum

15K mile Maintenance

ncranchero

I was reading that you should have the rear u-bolts re-torqued every 15K miles. :o Anyone had a problem with the rear suspension? By that being a 15K mile maintenance item it makes me think there has been a problem along the way somewhere. But, if a problem exists wouldn't 15k be a bit long to put off the re-torque/inspection? :headscratch: I think I'll check mine a bit sooner.

FYI, torque is 92 ft.lbs. in the typical cross bolt pattern and the vehicle MUST be resting on it's wheels (not jacked up).

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading that you should have the rear u-bolts re-torqued every 15K miles. :o Anyone had a problem with the rear suspension? By that being a 15K mile maintenance item it makes me think there has been a problem along the way somewhere. But, if a problem exists wouldn't 15k be a bit long to put off the re-torque/inspection? :headscratch: I think I'll check mine a bit sooner.

FYI, torque is 92 ft.lbs. in the typical cross bolt pattern and the vehicle MUST be resting on it's wheels (not jacked up).

thanks......i was thinking of that also.....thanks for the torque setting

• 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Is it "doable"?   Of course it is, if you have a good, calibrated torque wrench.

Is it necessary?  In all my years working around vehicles (almost three decades now), I've never seen this area fail.

Well, I've seen some failures on YouTube ... under the "If it wasn't on video, no one would believe it" category.  But I've never seen or heard of it in any of my travels or work.

The Gen 1 has leaf springs.  Some vehicles with leaf spring want a retorque on the u-bolts just to take account for the possible stretch.  If there was going to be a problem it would have appeared by 55000 miles.