Ford Transit Connect Forum

Like Best -- Like Least

Clozdr

I was fortunate enough to sell our 1st TC. I took it to see the customer by way of a 60 mph freeway and several rough city streets. It accelerated better than I anticipated for a 2.0L. It's not going to win any drag races but the powerplant seems more than adequate in acceleration. I am a pretty big guy and I was very comfortable in the driver seat. The turning radius is excellent. The radio was kinda tinny sounding but that is to be expected in a vehicle like this with no interior trim in the rear. A couple prospects wish the load floor were about a foot longer but overall they were impressed. I wish the outside mirrors were just a little bigger especialyy when driving a van with no side or rear glass.

I would definately opt for the XLT package in either case [van or pass van]. For just under $1000, you get color co-ordinated bumbers instead of grey painted bumpers, power windows, mirrors, and locks along with keyless remotes. Also included is speed control and a CD player; neither of which you can get in the XL. Also the 255 degree rear door option is only available on the XLT.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

I would like to add my thoughts on the new Tansit Connect I picked up last week.

I turned in our company's faithful '96 E-250 service van as a "clunker" and got $4500 towards the purchase of a XLT with parkway windows and a cargo system.

The Transit is a great replacement for the E van because we never realy needed all the space that it had. It came in handy at times but at the expence of comfort and parking issues in NYC.

This vehicle rides and handles like a car. Although in the rear it is a little bumpy over rough roads. I would think with some weight in the back it would be better. I took it on a service call last week. A 400 mile round trip. On the highway I was able to keep highway speeds with no problem. Having only a 6cyl in the old van, the transition to a 4cyl was no big deal. I felt the Transit was powered just fine for our needs. ( We'll see how it is in a few weeks when I have to transport a 700 lb. machine.)

Gearing seemed to be on the low side, running around 3000 rpm's at 70 mph. I still got just shy of 26 mpg on the trip there and 24 mpg on the return trip with heavy traffic running the A/C the whole time. Again, I was only hauling myself and a 60lb tool box. I can probably be able to squeeze more mileage after it is broken in.

On the comfort; It is small car like. I am 6' tall 225 lbs. The seat is a little too narrow for me, but is very supportive. I was fiddling with the ajustments for a while and was able to find a sweet spot. The tilt and telescoping steering is a nice feature, but in the best position for me, the steering wheel blocks my view of the dashboard. Cruise control worked well. Radio and CD player are of good quality for a work truck. I will be swapping my sirius radio back and forth from my personal car in future using the input jack.

The only issue I found is that there are no rain gutters. If you open the window when it is raining, you are going to get soaked. I had the truck parked out in the rain, when I returned and started moving I opened the drivers window a few inches. When I pulled out of the parking space and turned right, the water poured right into the open window. :banghead: This was never a problem with the E-van. Something I will have to get used to. Most new vehicles don't have them anymore. But these things can collect a lot of water in the roof channels. Unlike a car with a smooth roof.

Overall, I like this van a lot. I think it will work out well for our needs and save a boatload of money in fuel and toll costs over the larger van.

I picked up my TC - XLT yesterday and drove about 100 miles today. Ed, your review was right on.

Very glad I got the XLT package even though I will seldom drive the vehicle, but I think it will be nice for my drivers. I like the keyless entry alot. This will be good for our short stops. Long term the extra expense will pay for itself.

The worst is the side mirrrors. A bit small, as Ed pointed out. I think that I will put on some add ons to cover the blind spots by the side doors. The radio quality leaves a bit to be desired.

I am pleased with my purchase and look forward to the fuel savings and the safety of my drivers with a smaller van driving in residential neighborhoods. We are a dry cleaner with home delivery service.

Fuel, brakes, and tire purchases were getting real old with my GMC 2500 8 Cyl van.

Bob

The Clothes Doctor

Clozdr

• 2 weeks later...

Like best:

Milage, Handling (especially turning radius), high visibity (everyone looks since it's different), low load height, payload, high roof, access to back area with all doors open (you really don't have to step in to get things)

Not so much favorite things:

small mirrors and no wide angle mirrors, radio fuzzy at high volumes, not diesel engine like Euro-version... that's about it.

• 3 weeks later...

It's nice to see... er, read that I'm not alone regarding the radio! I find that to be a major pain. I want to hook up my XM, but have yet found anyone to attempt it. Apparently, the antenna plug is different over and beyond the locals don't know how to take the radio or surround plate off yet. I'm not going to be the guinea pig for that school!

I've got 1200 miles on mine in three weeks (well, two if you figure I didn't work one of the weeks and stayed home for the most part.) and am finding that the gas mileage is quite a change fro the last ride. Traded an '02 Crown Vic LX Sport for this. Huge difference in creature comforts from the Crown, but the (way) less frequent visits to the gas pump, and the cost being considerably less on each visit, along with the seating height and lovin' the way it drives, I can certainly forgo those comforts. The acceleration is better than I expected, and the cruise control is more "dead-on" than anything I've had recently. The a/c is as good as anything I've seen, and better than many. (And I noted someone else's post commenting on running the a/c on one trip - I didn't know a car would run WITHOUT the a/c on!?!? :rolleyes: )

I bought mine as personal transportation, as well as a mobile office for my job. I've been through 4 other cars in the last ten years due to the mileage I put on. I imagine this will be no different other than I won't be seeing the guy at the gas station as often.

Regarding the mirrors, I noticed that the European version shows mirrors with a larger (taller) head. I may be talking to a friend with relatives over there on that note. I think they are a little on the small side too.

The reason for my wanting the XLT van version was to be able to load old bikes in the back. I collect and restore old bicycles (specifically Schwinns from the '70s back into the '30s). I tried it out Wednesday night for a group ride. The bike looked lost in the back with all that room!

Overall, I am more than pleased with the TC, and am finding that I like it more every time I drive it. My wife and I have been stopped every time we are out by people curious as to what it is and so forth, the funniest being a local cop who stopped in a lane less traveled, well behind the traffic at the light we stopped at, so that he could discuss the finer points with us. I think this will go away after there are more of these out on the road, but for now it's fun to listen to the questions that come up. Funniest question so far was whether the Sprinter in front of us had just had a baby.

REC

Here in Canada we only get the XLT so a lot of your dilemas about which to choose down south are easy for us.

I factory ordered mine in March so I chose back up sensors (since I only have cab windows) and RSC stability package. I had to do an estimate in Whistler (Oh Darn!) and had a blast driving up the Sea-to Sky highway. I even had to use the cruise control so that I wouldn't get a ticket for excessive speeding (everyone speeds, but for a bit I was passing too many BMW's, Audi's etc for my comfort).

post-68-1253480889_thumb.jpg

The backup sensors are great even though I'm used to driving on mirrors with my E350 cube van.

The payload capacity is amazing. At a recent customer appreciation day at one of my suppliers I loaded up on various fillers, finishes, levelling compound and other heavy items. I was parked near the entry so everyone gathered around the BBQ could see us loading. Several guys said to us that we shouldn't punish a little truck like this. I don't know how many time I had to explain that the payload was better than most of their vehicles. The drive back to our shop was a non-event as the TC handled very well. I've got to say that braking power on this truck is phenomenal!

I've included a few pics of the load that we picked up at our supplier.

post-68-1253480078_thumb.jpgpost-68-1253480398_thumb.jpg

post-68-1253480409_thumb.jpg