Ford Transit Connect Forum

In-Dash Computer

Harlan Gourdie

I've had my Transit Connect for about a year now and I still really like it. I have been less than thrilled with the in-dash computer head unit however. Let me start from the beginning. I bought the first TC I could get my hands on, it came with the 6000CD head unit, which wasn't half bad in hind sight. But I had to have the computer. I had to wait for over three months for a computer to became available and they finally sent one. I paid for professional installation when I bought the van, so they outsourced it. OK, here's my issues:

- The number one annoying problem is that now the "line in" does not work. It did with the 6000CD unit, but now not with the computer unit. The installers blame it on Ford's design, Ford Rep agrees but neither has a solution. I've asked Ford repeatedly for help over the past 8 months they haven't come up with anything. I don't know about anyone else, but my main source for music is my iPod. Can't use it.

- The computer was buggy and froze up all the time, I was not happy so I had them send me a new unit. I switched it out and along with a software update, it was much better. But the line-in issue was still not resolved. While I'm on the computer issue, I ought to mention that I bought an iPhone shortly after I got the computer put in. Had I known how handy the iPhone was going to be, I would never have bought the in-dash computer. The iPhone blows it away in terms of speed and ease of use.

- The Blue Tooth worked much better with the 6000CD than on the in-dash computer. The sound quality while driving is horrible and nobody can hear me or understand what I'm saying. My iPhone is constantly being disconnected and won't stay connected to the system. It's just not worth all the hassle and I don't even try to use it anymore.

- The day/night illumination doesn't work automatically, but I don't think it does for anyone.

- Takes forever to turn on the unit when you start the van.

- I do like the Garvin navigation part and the CD player works ok, so it's not all bad.

I'm going to cancel my Sprint account when my contract is up, I'm just throwing away the money now because I'm not using the computer. If anyone has a good quality solution for getting my iPod to work with this system, I'd appreciate your advise.

Thanks.

I feel your pain, sort of. I had my OEM CD unit replaced with a Pioneer 7" nav unit and also lost the Aux-in capability. My unit had an Aux-in, but it wasn't available through the Pioneer wire harness adapter needed to connect to the TC's harness. What I got instead was an iPod/iPhone dedicated dock cable that does let me play music and videos off the iPhone when connected. I don't know the computer's wiring, but the AUX wires ARE available in the harness. It just may take a clever installer to trace them, pull them from the adapter, and connect them to the specific aux-in of your computer.

[_591 -

Is your ipod not playing at all, or playing with static. Mine has some static and the Ford help line told me to turn up the ipod all the way so the volume on the radio could be turned down. It helps, they also said that a fix was coming later this year. Hope this helps.

[_591 -

Is your ipod not playing at all, or playing with static. Mine has some static and the Ford help line told me to turn up the ipod all the way so the volume on the radio could be turned down. It helps, they also said that a fix was coming later this year. Hope this helps.

drobes,

My iPod is not working at all. The electrical harness on the FWS computer is different from the 6000CD radio and the line-in from the dash no longer connected with the line-in on the computer. (Did that make sense?) After about 8 months of badgering Ford I finally found an engineer who was sent me some instructions he threw together on a fix. The wires for the line-in don't match up on the plugs so I need to cut them and splice them circumventing the plug. I haven't done it yet, it's been about 100 degrees everyday and I don't have any shade to work under, but as soon as it cools down, I'll let you know how it turned out. I've attached the instructions I received in case anyone else is in the same boat.

Connecting the TransitConnect Line-In.pdf

Edited by _591

It certainly looks like that PDF was put together by an engineer with no communication skills. I've seen the wire harness and back of the CD unit and don't think I could deduce what is intended within that document. Anyway, Good luck!

No kidding! It wasn't easy deciphering what he was trying to say, but I think I finally figured it out. (I had it all torn out today and tried to call the guy to ask him a question but he was on vacation. Figures.) Anyway, I got it to work but there is still a staticy buzzing sound coming through the speakers. (Actually the same staticy buzzing sound it made when I set the unit to line-in before I fixed the connection.) Pretty sure it's a common problem, I've read it in other threads. Even with the iPod turned all the way up, it still annoys me. Oh well, at least I can use the iPod again.

I had a bad case of alternator noise after they installed my small amp and rear speaker, but only through the rear speaker and not the front. Noise filters wouldn't solve the problem. I eventually traced it to interference on all the low level line outs provided by my Pioneer. The high power speaker outs didn't show have any noise. I solved it by having the installer use the high power outs and an adapter to convert them to line-out levels to feed my amp. After some reflation, I think it could have been solved with a DC power line filter, as the noise was clearly alternator hum that changed pitch as the engine changed RPMs, coming into my head unit through the 12v power feed.

• 7 months later...

I've had my Transit Connect for about a year now and I still really like it. I have been less than thrilled with the in-dash computer head unit however. Let me start from the beginning. I bought the first TC I could get my hands on, it came with the 6000CD head unit, which wasn't half bad in hind sight. But I had to have the computer. I had to wait for over three months for a computer to became available and they finally sent one. I paid for professional installation when I bought the van, so they outsourced it. OK, here's my issues:

- The number one annoying problem is that now the "line in" does not work. It did with the 6000CD unit, but now not with the computer unit. The installers blame it on Ford's design, Ford Rep agrees but neither has a solution. I've asked Ford repeatedly for help over the past 8 months they haven't come up with anything. I don't know about anyone else, but my main source for music is my iPod. Can't use it.

- The computer was buggy and froze up all the time, I was not happy so I had them send me a new unit. I switched it out and along with a software update, it was much better. But the line-in issue was still not resolved. While I'm on the computer issue, I ought to mention that I bought an iPhone shortly after I got the computer put in. Had I known how handy the iPhone was going to be, I would never have bought the in-dash computer. The iPhone blows it away in terms of speed and ease of use.

- The Blue Tooth worked much better with the 6000CD than on the in-dash computer. The sound quality while driving is horrible and nobody can hear me or understand what I'm saying. My iPhone is constantly being disconnected and won't stay connected to the system. It's just not worth all the hassle and I don't even try to use it anymore.

- The day/night illumination doesn't work automatically, but I don't think it does for anyone.

- Takes forever to turn on the unit when you start the van.

- I do like the Garvin navigation part and the CD player works ok, so it's not all bad.

I'm going to cancel my Sprint account when my contract is up, I'm just throwing away the money now because I'm not using the computer. If anyone has a good quality solution for getting my iPod to work with this system, I'd appreciate your advise.

Thanks.

I purchased the following from amazon.com: GOgroove Flexsmart X2 Advanced Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling Capability for Android, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones

This unit has streaming blue tooth audio from your phone and sends the music to the radio. It selects a quiet channel automatically to transmit on. You can pause and skip songs on pandora for example and can play songs stored on the i-phone. It was $59.99 and works great. It plugs into the cigarette lighter for its own power and has a usb output jack so you can charge the phone at the same time.

It really works great and doesn't get in the way, try this link to amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Transmitter-Hands-Free-Capability-Blackberry-Smartphones/dp/B003PPGOC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302757273&sr=8-1

thanks...brian

• 11 months later...

_591, I have the same issue you had with the line in-how is yours working? Do you know where I can get the antenna for the GPS to work? I have a computer head unit but need the antenna connection.

Thanks, Mike