Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rear speaker harness location

Does anyone know where (or if it even has one) the rear speaker harness connector is? My last Transit work van (2013 XLT)had rear speaker wires @ the head unit, but when I got it, the shelving units were already installed, so I had no access. I simply parallel connected some wires there to the existing factory wiring. It (and new one) are leased, so minimal damage/alteration is key. I want to add the power amp I was using to the new one, by using rear channels to feed it like before. 100W/ch into Polk Audio Atruim 4 outdoor speakers sounded pretty good!

If rear harness connector exists, where is it?

• 2 months later...

This is a real interesting subject. I just bought a brand new 2015 transit connect 1.6 TDCi (this is the biggest engine allowed in this car here in South Africa), and I would also like to know where the rear speaker harness is. I opened the one panel on the right side where the fuse box is located, and saw an unused harness, but not entirely sure if it's the wires I'm looking for. I'm too afraid to hook them up, and maybe blow something costly in the process. So, maybe your harness is on the same side. You're welcome to try it out and let me know if it works, if you're willing to take the chance. Me personally, I don't have the balls I guess ;-)

I picked up the 2015 Wiring Diagram manual from Helm last week and am still learning to use it. But it looks like the connectors are at the base of the C pillars on each side.

The illustration seems to show them mounted on the front facing panel where the floor drops down for the seat recess, just inside the bottom rear corner of the door opening.

Rectangular 12 pin connectors in a 3 x 4 pin pattern

Connector C710 on the left, Pin 11 (WH-GN) for speaker positive and Pin 12 (BN-YE) for speaker negative

Connector C810 on the right, Pin 11 (BN-WH) for speaker positive and Pin 12 (BN-BE) for speaker negative

Further forward, there is a single large connector C311 centered under the instrument panel at floor level. Hard to tell exact location on the illustration, but looks near the rear most portion of the cowl under the shifter or possibly at the front of the center console base trim. A larger rectangular connector with rows of 18 pins down each side, and a more random widely spaced set of 23 wires in the middle.

LR+, BN-GN audio side, pin 24, WH-GN speaker side going to C710

LR-, BN-YE both sides, pin 23

RR+, BN-WH both sides, pin 37

RR-, BN-BE both sides, pin 36

Edited by DonShockley

Thanx for the info. Would you kindly send me the diagram if possible, I would like to see it when I search for the wires.

Unfortunately, it's not any single diagram. More like half a dozen or so. A couple to show the wiring electrically, another couple to show how each individual connector is wired, and another couple to show the physical location of each connector. I spent quite a bit of time flipping back and forth through the book trying to follow all the references to other pages and parts.

One update to the earlier post, that C311 connector must be under the shifter, it's not shown in another separate diagram for the console between the seats.

Even though the wiring and connections spread across several pages of wire bundles and connectors, it's all just a straight run electrically from the audio system to the speakers of simple positive and negative connectors. Here's one of the diagrams showing the left side door connector location.

post-5019-0-44302700-1438292855_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2010 Ford Transit Connect XLT and it has only 2 front speakers with Ford 6000 CD player. Does anyone know if it has rear output leads for rear speakers, the factory location of the rear speakers if it was equipped ? I know of other years after this have 4 speakers but am not sure if I have to change the radio head or can use my existing one. I know I can't install the speakers in both sliding doors as their is no electrical sock / boot for the door, only power locks. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys - just a little update/questions.

I have a 2015 TC VAN and went hunting for the rear speaker wires just a few minutes ago. I went for the PASSENGER side (no link above for a pic of it's location in DonShockley's post) and didn't see ANY... I mean ANY ... Plug clips under the side step/rear clips. In the same general location as specified. Any help would be appreciated from those that have completed wiring in rear speakers as to the correct/exact location of the "710/810 plugs".

I was thinking that maybe some of the "base model" stereo equipped models may not come wired this way, but considering the "Chicken Tax" aspect of all of these coming as wagons FIRST, then being converted to vans - along with the fact mine came equipped with the SYNC CD/etc second tier stereo (that even has adjust ability for the rear channels within it's menus) that if a VAN were going to have the terminals, it would be the one.

Again, thanks for any help in locating, I'll continue the physical search while I have it apart.

• 2 months later...

BOOM! Update for those that give a care!

That c710 harness, although it appears to be located inside the vehicle where you can get to it easily, it's actually located just behind the side door "chain".

You simply open the sliding door, pop off the smal round plastic clips and snap out the chain guid conector at the base of the door sill - BAMB.. there's your harness. I am however regretting to inform that my VAN version doesn't seem to have wires in this location. I will however update the SECOND i figure out how far back in the harness they are.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Good thread, thanks for the info.  I have a 2016 ti Wagon, and want to tap into the rear speaker wires (710/810 plugs) for speaker-level inputs into a tiny after market subwoofer that I plan to mount in the jack access hatch.

If anyone has done this to add a sub, I'd love to hear your advice on what to do.

This is not specifically for this sub model but a general blueprint:

First put a double layer of sound insulation mat on the jack compartment walls so it wouldn’t rattle along. This includes plastic interior panels around the area.

Use bits of semi hard closed cell foam to ensure there’s no contact between body and sub parts. Stick them everywhere you would expect any rattle to be an issue. Do not force anything tho, especially between the sub and outer sheet metal, it will bulge if you do. Just a slight compression.

Use textile based tape on cabling.

Power for the sub is available on the other side of the cargo area at the Aux Junction Box (AJB). It has circuits that are always hot and hot when the ignition (not Accessory) is on. I found a way to plug directly into to the AJB:

But using the Ignition power to turn on the sub will not allow the sub to play when you turn on the stereo w/o the key in the ignintion (my basic Sync, small sceeen, unit allows this) or when you turn off the ignition and sit in the car for a while. The only "signal" power coming out of the head unit is 12v to power the antenna. It will be a project to tap into this and run it back to the sub.

antenna wiring.pdf

Edited by Don Ridley
typos

Thanks Don, the link to those terminals is great!  Ignition-only for the sub sounds fine for my use, and I'm hoping not to tear into the dash for now.  I might try and mount the sub over the AJB instead of jack, there just might be room for the tiny Kenwood KSC-SW11.  

mrtn, I'll definitely be putting sound deadener in.  This is a 2-part project while I have the interior apart.  Deadener/sound insulation and the little sub.  Trying to get the road noise and audio performance "good enough".