Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014 TC, where to mount cell phone/gps?

Love the TC, but there seems to be no good place to mount a phone/GPS in the thing. Every inch of dash has a control/vent/curve/something.

Curious where people are mounting them.

I've considered the little overhang over the radio display, but I prefer to avoid them up so high. Reach is an issue, as is sun causing mounts to fail and phones to overheat.

I'm just not finding anything lower down, especially something that won't block a needed control with a large'ish phone. Cup holders are out, need a spot for my coffee.

I refuse to look at my phone while I drive. I have hands off to answer, but I won't dial while I am driving, so mine goes into my...pocket.

Not all of us were fortunate enough to have BT equipped in our vehicle, and while I can appreciate your choice, my choice of safe driving includes not having to try to retrieve my phone from my pocket when the technology fails and things didn't connect/answer/dial as intended.

Looking at a map/song/clock or any other informative display on my phone is no different than looking at the various other information systems the auto manufacturers include.

For others who don't pocket their phones, Panavise does have a mount bracket for the 2014/2015 model year. http://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/751072614.pdf

ProFit does as well, but I don't like their locations on the dash, and they note that larger devices may obscure controls/displays.

I'm not a fan of suction cup mounts, they always fall off, and as such I think they're unsafe.

I've had great success in my past 3 vehicles with Ram Mounts, my TC needed it more than any other, you ain't kidding, no space available!

This is the Ram Pod 1 Universal No drill with an X-grip, mounts to seat bolt and positions perfectly, the x grip will accommodate iphone 4 through iPhone 6 plus easily. Other manufacturers of course but I know for sure about Apple. Rotates sideways for GPS and landscape mode.

http://www.rammount.com/images/rec/RAM-B-316-1U-10.jpg

Best prices on Amazon

To mmontminy, very nice find on that panavise mount, thank you. Also the Ram Mount suction cups are the best I've ever found,they just won't fall.

post-4872-0-97919100-1431986847_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Panavise mount in. Easy install, solid, and good placement. There's 2 mounting options, low and high. I went with low. High would put the phone around the middle of the vent.

Bolted on a cheap QI one touch charger/mount. Holds my Note 4 solidly and in easy reach.

post-4890-0-41558600-1432772955_thumb.jppost-4890-0-70703000-1432772928_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

I've had great success in my past 3 vehicles with Ram Mounts........

Same here. I've been moving the RAM floor mount between vehicles for 4-5 years now. I'm finalizing the deal on a new 2015 TC Wagon later today and it'll get the RAM mount too.

I also started with the X-grip, but started using custom holders for easier charging. The latest being the Tylt car charger. But the first thing I do when I get any of these custom accessories is find a way to modify them to use with my RAM mounts. My favorite method is to try to find a spot I can mount a 1/4-20 nut inside with a hole drilled in the (usually) plastic case. This way it's easy to use the RAM mount when needed by screwing in a ball mount. But if I need to use the original mount I just unscrew the ball and reattach the original.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2015 at 0:54 PM, mmontminy said:

Love the TC, but there seems to be no good place to mount a phone/GPS in the thing. Every inch of dash has a control/vent/curve/something.

Curious where people are mounting them.

We discovered that too the first week we had it.  We've used the same touchscreen Garmin GPS for years  -  I originally bought it to use on my motorcycles because it's touch screen, waterproof and has an internal battery.  I just keep upgrading the maps on it every year or two

I'm another one who never answers my phone while I'm driving.  If it rings, I hand it to my wife and if she's not with me, I just let it ring

Anyway, a week after we bought the TC I got to seriously looking into changing the headunit out for something with Bluetooth and Nav.  We settled on the Pioneer AVIC 6100-NEX and got that installed last week.  The GPS in it is a huge upgrade from my old Garmin and it's also touch screen, pinch and squeeze to expand/contract the display.  It's got a USB input for playing our music sticks and you can plug your cel phone into it and do all sorts of neat things like real time traffic info off the phone.  Installed it using the Metra dash kit  -  Looks pretty good, works really well and 'solves' the 'where to GPS/phone' problem

Don

It wants a VSS input as it makes the GPS even more accurate.  My installation is pretty basic right now while I wait for my book of TC wiring diagrams to arrive

I cover that part of the dash with a small towel to keep the sun off the headunit when the car is parked anywhere but in my garage, so hopefully thieves won't break in just to see what's behind the towel

Don

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've got a MOBArmor phone holder and I've mounted it to the small window on the drivers door. Works perfect, and the magnet is incredibly strong. I've taken my connect offroad and had no issues. Great placement. I'll get a pic later. 

A couple years ago I found these stick on pads at a discount store Ollies. They stick to the dash and have a sticky top to set your cell phone on. We use it to hold other things, too. But, what I found was I placed it on the flat space in front on the radio screen and I can easily pop (gently force fit) my iPhone 6 for horizontal viewing into the eyebrow space for use as a veiwable GPS. The sticky pad holds it in place and I squeeze it in into a nearly flat vertical position. It does block the radio panel view. I only keep it there for viewing the gps when needed or when I am playing audio from my phone. The iPhone is in a Pelican case. I left the plastic film on the sticky pad for now. Yes, I am a carpeted big dash kinda guy ;)

IMG_1454.JPG

IMG_1455.JPG

Edited by Boomerweps
Add pics