Ford Transit Connect Forum

Payload upgrade

Hi,

Can anyone help me out here? I am looking to add some cargo capacity to my TC and need to know if anyone has done so by upgrading the standard shocks or leaf springs.

I may be pushing the payload just a bit and would like to ensure i have the proper support from behind. Any advice?

thank you

I'm interested in that also, not so much as to add payload capacity but to just keep it on a more level stance. My first trip was today, started out quite early at around 4:30 am. I'll admit I did have it loaded at pretty close to the 1600 lb limit. It rode good, handled okay but with the rear end squatted it threw the headlights high. Every Tom, Dick and Harry that approached gave the the "high beam flash". I only haul a full load once a week but I hate blinding oncoming traffic. Suggestions?????

I'm interested in that also, not so much as to add payload capacity but to just keep it on a more level stance. My first trip was today, started out quite early at around 4:30 am. I'll admit I did have it loaded at pretty close to the 1600 lb limit. It rode good, handled okay but with the rear end squatted it threw the headlights high. Every Tom, Dick and Harry that approached gave the the "high beam flash". I only haul a full load once a week but I hate blinding oncoming traffic. Suggestions?????

Glad to hear it drives well with that kind of load. I will be running it at probably 1200+ most of the time, occasionally at 1600. I was worried about drivability and handling, but you seem to think was pretty good, so thats a relief. Hows the power? I know its a pretty torquey engine, so its probably decent. I was looking to see if anyone knew of a suspension or brake upgrade that might help out.

Being my first trip and loaded to the max I was very careful. Mine has that RSC for whatever good it does. My instinct is, with it loaded like that, if I had to make a severe maneuver to avoid an accident I might be in trouble. :drool:

Power .......... first gear is good. There seems to be too big a spread of ratios between 1st & 2nd, RPM drops too far for my liking. A 5 speed auto would have been much better and enabled you to stay in the power band.(if there is such a thing with this 2.0L) After 1st gear I feel like I need to pedal! :( For stop & go in town use it would be more than satisfactory. My load for today is very light and the power is noticeably better. 1600 lbs works the heck out of it.

You'll have to understand my position though. My last 2 cargo vehicles were an '05 E250 4.6L w/ a 4.10 and an '08 E250 Super Duty 5.4L w/a 3.73. The '05 would actually get 18 MPG highway and pulled as well as the '08 which I could only get 15 MPG from.

The TC got 23 MPG on this first trip. Needs a larger fuel tank for my purpose. I run a 500 mile, a 300 mile and a 200 mile trip every week. It went 311 miles on 13.47 gallons.

Other first trip observations:

The Ford 6000 CD 2 speaker radio sounds cheap.

The cargo liners to finish what Ford started is outrageously priced for what little you get. ($700-$900). I'll make my own.

You could take your shirt off and get a tan with that huge windshield. I HAVE to get some tinting. The aerodynamics DO keep most of the bugs from splattering on your windshield though.

The mirrors SUCK. I'll be picking up a pair of the Hercules convex add-on today or tomorrow. There's a terrible blind spot right off the left rear corner and I have windows in all of the doors.

The remotes won't lock the doors if you leave it running. It will with the key still in it but you have to turn it off.

I'm sure after my first week I'll have more........................... :unsure:

Edited by ncranchero

It was mentioned here a while back that in the EU, the TC has a second dial in the headlight cluster that raises and lowers the angle of the lights. Why they didn't send that over with the US version is beyond my understanding.

• 7 months later...

old post...but check out Timbren http://www.timbren.com/ They make rubber springs to replace the factory bump stops. I have them on my Astro...takes anywhere from 10-45 minutes to install depending on vehicle. They cost about $180/pair for the Astro. The fronts added 1500 lbs and the rears 2000lbs, but you don't want to exceed the gross axle weight. They're basically passive helper springs. Here is the pdf file for the install on the TC http://www.timbren.com/timbren-application-guides/application-pdfs/FRTC.pdf