Ford Transit Connect Forum

Help replacing piston rings

escobar

ok, so I checked my clearances, and the valve that was burnt has none at all. I could not get any feeler through it. Obviously this means its holding the valve down causing my horrid compression and burnt valve. I took the exhaust cam out, and swapped it with the lowest cap I had from my old head and it barely made any difference. Not sure what is causing this, but bottom line is the head has to come off and be taken to a pro to figure it out. I cant risk installing it again and it not be 100% right. I'll keep you posted with what I do.

Edited by escobar

Sounds like the Valve seat was cut deeper on that cyl With the cam out does the Valve seal ? what are the different size caps avaliable for the valve lash. Did you check the lash on the other valves and what is the Spec for the valve clearances.

Thanks for ther up date.

Edited by G B L

I did check all the other valves, all are in spec, not sure why that one is so far out. Im just gonna take it to a machine shop and let them figure it out. I will have the head off tonight after work and i'll drop it off tomorrow. thanks for your interest GBL!

ok so the machine shop topped a few valves and I have my clearance, also had them re deck the head. Turned out great. Got it all back together and it fired right up, no misfire. However there is a strange clicking sound coming from the valve cover, almost like one of the cam brackets is lose...and I have a P0340 crankshaft position fault code thrown. Gonna pull the valve cover and double check my torque on the bolts.

With the Valve cover off bump the engine over with the starter to see if anything is too close and clicking. Could the crank position sensor be touching.

You are getting very close to the end now great job. You are the go to guy for head work on the gen 1 TC.

Correct. If you need to you can put the coil back on and start it to listen for the noise. Try not too drop any thing in the cam shafts and cam chain. it will make a small mess with the oil spray but can yield good information.

Edited by G B L

thanks for the replies, I took the cover off and found the bolts closest to the camshaft position sensor loose as suspected, so I tightened them down and the clicking sound went away and I thought the P0340 code as well. This morning when I started it, the code came back in. I swapped CMP sensors off my other van and it made no difference so I know the sensor is good. Im afraid I have a wire shorted or broke somewhere I guess. Trying to find a diagram to see how to test it. It runs really nice though, very smooth even with the code...so close

hey before you go crazy could it be that the sensor is too near or far from the cam shaft? with the cam moving around could it have hit the tube that that sensor rides in . You have had the valve cover off so many time it could have messed up the distance to the Camshaft.

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

Still in it to the end with you

Yea I thought about that, there is no evidence of any impact. I went ahead and swapped sensors with my other van with only 24K miles. I am going to double check my timing tomorrow to make sure its 100%. It could be the CKP and CMP sensor are not 100% in sync. I have a buddy who used to work at Ford as a master mechanic and has the software to scan my ecu. I 'll bring it by his place if I cant make any progress with it. Im gonna figure it out!

so I found my Crankshaft position sensor was cracked. Got a new one and it came with the alignment tool. Got it installed perfectly, started it up and it runs great. So far, the code stayed away. Im gonna drive it and see what happens. Hopefully that was it. Fingers crossed!

The CMP is the cam sensor which escobar swapped out. The Cracked sensor was the Crankshaft sensor on the front of the timing chain cover . With the number of times the cover was off its no surprise the Cranks sensor was damaged.

Cool Waiting for the victory lap.

well I pulled the valve cover off for the 27th time ;) and found that my timing was indeed off. It had skipped a few teeth somehow. I corrected it, fired it up and no more code. Finally I think I may have this job done. I learned alot from doing this, bottom line, I should have taken the head to the machine shop when I got it, and not assumed anything. Im just very pleased how well its running and how much I learned. Thanks for all your help and insight GBL.