Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

JWWOODY

EXTERIOR CARE

I know that the forum page says Flex, but we can use it for our TC'S. Since I live on the coast (salt air) and I have a roof rack I can't get my wagon into the garage, so exterior maintenance is a must. I like my cars clean, waxed, and showroom new, so I spend time keeping them that way. I use Meguires NXT Tech Wax on the exterior paint. I probably wax it 6 times a year, (for me its therapy). On the black plastic trim and tires I use Eagle One gel no drip tire shine applied with a sponge pad to keep it neat and off the paint. I wash the wagon frequently with Meguire's car wash, but I usually do the engine compartment, wheel wells and definately the wheels with simple green first. A quick dry with a terry towell or chamois after wash. I would like to hear if you think there are better or more efficient products that you use.

WOODY

I know that the forum page says Flex, but we can use it for our TC'S. Since I live on the coast (salt air) and I have a roof rack I can't get my wagon into the garage, so exterior maintenance is a must. I like my cars clean, waxed, and showroom new, so I spend time keeping them that way. I use Meguires NXT Tech Wax on the exterior paint. I probably wax it 6 times a year, (for me its therapy). On the black plastic trim and tires I use Eagle One gel no drip tire shine applied with a sponge pad to keep it neat and off the paint. I wash the wagon frequently with Meguire's car wash, but I usually do the engine compartment, wheel wells and definately the wheels with simple green first. A quick dry with a terry towell or chamois after wash. I would like to hear if you think there are better or more efficient products that you use.

WOODY

I have had my TC only for a couple of weeks and have yet to get into a cleaning routine like I had with my previous ride ( Mini Cooper S ) .I was really anal about appearance inside and out .

All of my cleaning supplies were ordered off the web . Two of the products I used for Engine and wheel well cleaning were MEGUIAR`S Detailer Series , Safe D - Greaser and Hyper Dressing .

Both come in 1 Gal jugs and are diluted to your personal requirements. Mine are like 6 years old and I`m down to half ,so you won`t be buying it every month . !!! Warning !!! it is not cheap but

IMHO is well worth it for ease of use and the superior results obtained.

Also for treating the exterior plastic trim I used a product called BLACK WOW It also treats coloured unpainted plastic trim just as well as black though . It is only available on-line so maybe just google it to obtain .

I hope these sugestions help you to easily maintain the looks of your TC .

Keith

WOW! from MINI Cooper S to Transit Connect ?!?!

nice move, Steering and throttle responce a little slower ?

I'm thinking of adding a FIAT 500 to compliment my TC.

WOW! from MINI Cooper S to Transit Connect ?!?!

nice move, Steering and throttle responce a little slower ?

I'm thinking of adding a FIAT 500 to compliment my TC.

Yes WOW :speedie: but needs change and after a few close call lessons have changed my route to work . :shrug:

but all is cool ,did the sebring bit and all that . Now have a set of wheels that earns me $$ most times .

I decided to try Turtlewax ICE on my TC. I know it's not wax, but according to my online research the synthetics are better at blocking UV and they last longer. A big advantage, for me, is that ICE goes on clear and stays clear. So it works on black plastic just as well as Back To Black. Another big advantage -- it took less than two hours to apply and buff ICE.

I also use Simple Green on my engines. A 50/50 mix works great.

I was talking with a body and fender repair shop foreman the other day, and asked him about keeping the exterior rubber trim from turning white. Like the wheel well trim and the horizontal piece that runs along the side panels. He told me not to use Armoral as it will speed up the deterioration of rubber and plastic parts. He mentioned a plastic specific coating. I believe Stoner is the brand name.

303 Aerospace protectant is the product to use on plastic, rubber, vinyl, etc. It's a great tire UV blocker/protectant and the only one that works. NOT a "dressing" like ArmourAll junk and all the others that contain petroleum distillates. Sure it makes them shiney but NOT what you want to use.

http://www.303produc...-protectant.cfm

http://www.303produc...ation_guide.htm

I use it on our RV tires and decals and all plastic and rubber parts/trim on the vehicles.

Most marine and RV stores carry 303 and Walmart has it online and maybe instore.

Edited by Jaymz

303 Aerospace protectant is the product to use on plastic, rubber, vinyl, etc. It's a great tire UV blocker/protectant and the only one that works. NOT a "dressing" like ArmourAll junk and all the others that contain petroleum distillates. Sure it makes them shiney but NOT what you want to use.

http://www.303produc...-protectant.cfm

http://www.303produc...ation_guide.htm

I use it on our RV tires and decals and all plastic and rubber parts/trim on the vehicles.

Most marine and RV stores carry 303 and Walmart has it online and maybe instore.

Thanks, I'm going to try it.

To all avid detailers here. Can you please share your annual regiment of exterior detailing also what product you guys use?

Also, the tools you guys use, please. Thanks.

Dawn dish washing detergent, garden hose, 5 gallon bucket, pressure washer, and a rag. This is what I used to use for all of my vehicles. In the last year or so I have been playing around with some other stuff. This is not really a detailing site so I will not post up the links and such but there are some really good products out there. But one thing you will find is that the detailing products world is pretty cut throat and very opinionated. And because of this I will not say what I use specifically.  But I will send you a link in a pm to the products I use. 

Thanks, BSUPC, just a question though wouldn' t dawn remove or strip off the wax or sealant applied on your paint?

Keep in mind I said I used to use that method. This was before I saw the error in my ways and made corrections.  I also never used any kind of wax or sealants at all. I was lazy and cheap. Dawn is not good on paint at all, but it took me a long time to realize that. 

On 8/11/2017 at 5:12 PM, BSUPC said:

Keep in mind I said I used to use that method. This was before I saw the error in my ways and made corrections.  I also never used any kind of wax or sealants at all. I was lazy and cheap. Dawn is not good on paint at all, but it took me a long time to realize that. 

Yes will do thanks again!