Ford Transit Connect Forum

Camper Conversion

While poking around on the web I found this.

If your planning to convert your TC for family camping it's worth a look-see for ideas, if nothing else.

The company's name is Kevin Hornby Designs

URL: http://kevinhornbydesigns.com/specialty_vehicles/transit-connect-conversion/

Just passing on an interesting web find, I've no connection with Kevin Hornby Designs.

Roland(boomer43)

• 4 months later...

I looked at the referred to site and was pretty impressed. My reason for looking at a transit is for camping and this guy seems to put together a nice unit for a decent price. I have always done my own conversions and will probably do that with a transit also, although given the prince Kevin is quoting, it might be worth just having it done. Is there anyone on this site who is familiar with converting a Transit into a small RV? I would really like to see some pictures and floor plans. I am new to this site and look forward to exploring it.

I am concerned also about Ford's no trailer towing recommendation. This seems like typical manufacturer CYA stuff. I was really irritated to see it and have experienced it with other vehicles I have owned and been interested in. My practice has been to ignore the recommendation, look at the specs for the same vehicle in Europe, and follow those. Typically the U.S. version has all of the frame hitch mounting hardware installed anyway so in their manuals they say no hitch, but in their vehicle they are implying, go ahead.

• 1 month later...

Im also new to the site and interested in doing a camper conversion using a Transit for the base. Would be great to hear from others on the site who have done it or are going it.

In the meantime, I noticed a place in Oregon, Gresham Ford, that has done a conversion and its currently for sale (not sure for how long): http://www.greshamford.com/en_us/unitDetail.asp?Unit=317017 Theyve also posted a Youtube walk-around of the finished product.

Also, found a site that offers lots of advice about conversions: http://www.campervanlife.com It is a UK site and since the Transit has been around over there for a while there is more experience with it. The site also has a link to transit conversions for sale (could be good for some ideas): http://www.campervanlife.com/ford-transit-campervans-sale

On the towing issue, there is a good discussion on this forum at Cargo, Hauling, Towing & Upfit Packages. Don't know why Ford is cautious about recommending towing with the US edition when the same model sold in Europe has specific towing recommendations.

Edited by edantravel

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

we bought a FTC for the sole purpose of camping. we have been camping with our VW bus for the last 4 years, but we wanted something that will take us out further. we were going to go the inflatable route, but discovered that two coleman camping cots are a custom fit for a comfortable night sleep on the road. we can keep the bed set up while driving, so we could just slip right into bed after 10 hrs on the road...the clearence under the bed gives us ample spece to stow all of our camping gear. i also made simple courtains out of a vinyl tarp and some 3M velcro strips...

post-2193-0-74074500-1323613308_thumb.jp

post-2193-0-23177800-1323613329_thumb.jp

post-2193-0-49838500-1323613335_thumb.jp

post-2193-0-17827400-1323613343_thumb.jp

Hi Christian:

I like the camping cot idea. My idea is to keep it simple, rather than built-in cabinets and such. I tried one folding cot but the middle legs interfered with the wheel well. I guess that was not a problem with yours. Also a fair amount of gear can be stowed underneath. Do you have a number or name for the cots you are using? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

they are just simple Coleman cots from academy. i use a ratchet strap to keep them in place. we just came back from a week of back country camping at big bend, and this setup worked great for 2 people...if you are soloing it, you can have a sweet pad on wheals.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_26332_-1?Ntt=cots&Ntk=All

they are just simple Coleman cots from academy. i use a ratchet strap to keep them in place. we just came back from a week of back country camping at big bend, and this setup worked great for 2 people...if you are soloing it, you can have a sweet pad on wheals.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_26332_-1?Ntt=cots&Ntk=All

i just noticed that my middle legs don't clear the wheal wells either. they butt right up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i am going to be extending the legs of the cots by about 6-8 inches, because i want to clear the space below so i can carry a large cooler or fridge. i thout about boulding a whole camping box similary to kevins design, but all i really need is nore open space to carry gear, and a large cooler. ill post pictures as soon as i telded some leg extentions on the cots.

• 1 month later...

OK...here we go..trouble liging in. well i went a new direction with my camper setup. it cost me less than $200 including the 4"mattres, plus some things i had laying around the house. it took me a total of about 3 days to build it all and to add finishing touches. i still want to add a shower at the rear. ill let the pictures do the rest of the talking

• 4 weeks later...

Aloha tranzy, Do you have any experince cooking with it in your transit, woundering about amp load on my exisitng 12 volt system. Want you to know how much I enjoyed visiting your country last summer, Canadian customs gave me the "full Monty" van strip search in Windsor, I think they were more curious when they refelected on the idea I was RVing in such a small vehicle, I thought it interesting that Candian authorties were more interested in 1) what kind of camper is this 2) why does this Hawaiian want to come here and finally3) am I bringing american merchandise into Canada without paying taxes. All went well, great summer weather, friendly people, and lots of Asians in Toronto!!! but no Hawaiians.

• 2 months later...

OK...here we go..trouble liging in. well i went a new direction with my camper setup. it cost me less than $200 including the 4"mattres, plus some things i had laying around the house. it took me a total of about 3 days to build it all and to add finishing touches. i still want to add a shower at the rear. ill let the pictures do the rest of the talking

Nice work! You have worked out a great solution to getting a camper conversion without going broke. I like the design, and have a few questions. Does your van have rear seats that you kept inplace folded up, rahter than removing them?

The third picture shows the plywood platform hinaged and folding up. How do you use that space with the platform up? Also, with the platform down, I can't quite tell from the photo what supports the end nearest the front of the van? Does the shelf on the back door remain there when the door closes by ending up just below the back of the sleeping platform?

Thanks for showing us your work.

Jim

Hawaiian Transit Traveler. Wow, you came to Windsor? I live 30 km from Windsor. Glad you had a good time. Anyway, the 12 volt microwave works great for most any thing you would normally cook in a regular 1000 watt microwave, except it takes twice as long using 12 volt. For best results, run the engine when using your 12 volt microwave. Saves the battery. Best wishes from Canada.

• 1 month later...

I just discovered the Transit Connect & think it might be a good choice for solo traveling. I saw the posts about camp cots, but I like hammocks. I think a hammock would be ideal, as it takes up less space to stow than a cot, and I find them more comfortable. Anyone who has one, or who has done a conversion, would it be possible to install connectors at the front and back of the vehicle to string a hammock?

For solo traveling, I think I'd string it diagonally - right front to left rear or the other way around, but I don't see why you couldn't rig it to string two of them. Or for couples, a double hammock. Seems to me like a no-brainer, but maybe someone else knows of problems?

Though I have not tried it, I don't think it would be difficult at all. There are several strong points where you could place a bolt for an anchor.

Funny you should ask today, as I have just finished rigging my cots for a short camping trip.

Edited by Willie

• 1 year later...

Aloha, Just joined, am presently traveling mainland in my DIY constructed transit rv/camper conversion. Bought simple to follow plans and templets, simple build with basic wood tools, made some modifications but works well. Does anyone have a small 12 volt micro they would recommend ?

I don't know if you're still checking in on this thread, but if you are, can you tell me where you got the plans and templets you mention?

I just picked up a 2010 TC and and I'm eager to get started on my camping kit!

Also, can you tell me about how long the project takes to build and install?

• 2 months later...