Ford Transit Connect Forum

Vents above back doors

FTCPNW

There are two vent with rubber flaps above the rear door opening. What are they venting? the space between the head liner and the roof? is the what the other internal cargo area vents are doing?

Which leads to my next question. I often use this van as a camper and this results in condensation over night. I would like to install a vent with a fan to help ventilate the van but since the roof is corrugated the options seem limited.

I wonder if these other mystery vents could be modified to improve circulation? Open them up a little and add a small 12v fan???

This could also help keep the van cooler if it's in the the blazing hot summer sun. To help with this I have just tinted the window which cuts the heat exposure in half - per window. I have a windshield sun block and factory tint on rear window. Also I just ordered 5mm closed cell foam insulation wrapped in aluminum foil that I will coat the inside with it has a R value of 15 and It reflects 97% of radiant heat. insulation link.

Interesting product, the 5mm insulation. Did you get the garage door kit or the big roll? Hard to believe something that thin achieves R-15, but I noticed in their technical specs that it got that rating by testing it in the center of a 2x6 studwall; and they mention that it performs better with a 1/2" to 3" air space. I suppose if you stick it to the top of the headliner that would leave some air space above. Are you going to do your side walls and panel over?

Those vents above the door openings look to be the outlet for the round plastic vent inlets on the rear corner pillars just inside the doors. Probably serve at best to equalize pressures between inside and out. One thing I'd love to have is a roof vent of some kind. My previous car has a sunroof that I'd crack open after the car had been parked in the sun to let all the heat escape out the top. It's a shame the TC's roof is ribbed. I'd seriously consider adding an electric slide-open sunroof if it was possible.

Interesting product, the 5mm insulation. Did you get the garage door kit or the big roll? Hard to believe something that thin achieves R-15, but I noticed in their technical specs that it got that rating by testing it in the center of a 2x6 studwall; and they mention that it performs better with a 1/2" to 3" air space. I suppose if you stick it to the top of the headliner that would leave some air space above. Are you going to do your side walls and panel over?

I got the 4' x 25' roll for $60.

I will do a double layer on top, and where is it a single sheet of metal on the sides, maybe even the floor.

I will panel it eventually once I figure out some other details. I tried to post some images but it wasn't working for me. so you can see the pictures in my gallery.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...