Ford Transit Connect Forum

Main Cabin Heater Question

windguy

I've used the heater a few times on my 2015 TC and noticed that the console below the gear shift got extremely hot. I couldn't even keep my hand on it so I'm guessing it must be well over 120 deg. This is the plastic console material close to the floor area. both sides and the front area that's in front of the center drink holder console. I have no idea why this area is getting hot to the touch. I had the heater temp on the max hot setting and the fan speed on 2 and the vent direction for floor and middle vents. The heater is kickass and warms things up nicely but I'm concerned about how hot this area is getting. Doesn't seem right. Any one else have this issue or if you haven't noticed, please run your heater then check it out and let me know. thanks.

Edited by windguy

@Mustang - thanks for the feedback on that.

So the good news for me is that it's not just my van.

The bad news for me and 2014/2015 or all Gen 2 TC's is that they may all have that issue.

Do you think it's a concern that should be checked out by Ford?

Something that hot in the cabin area seems like a significant issue to me.

thanks

@Mustang - thanks for the feedback on that.

So the good news for me is that it's not just my van.

The bad news for me and 2014/2015 or all Gen 2 TC's is that they may all have that issue.

Do you think it's a concern that should be checked out by Ford?

Something that hot in the cabin area seems like a significant issue to me.

thanks

it's to make up for the wagons that don't have any rear heat ...................LOL !

24.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The Passenger Van has ductwork going under the the seats for the back seat heat. The hot air is directed down through that area, I am not sure if the work van has the ducts, but I supect that there is alot of hot air directed at that area as well

It should stay cooler with the temp control in the cooling zone if they put in a water control valve for the heater. Have not checked out the water valve yet.

The Passenger Van has ductwork going under the the seats for the back seat heat. The hot air is directed down through that area, I am not sure if the work van has the ducts, but I supect that there is alot of hot air directed at that area as well. It should stay cooler with the temp control in the cooling zone if they put in a water control valve for the heater. Have not checked out the water valve yet.

@GBL - thanks for the input.

The cargo van doesn't have ducts beyond the dash area so nothing going below the seats.

there has to be a pretty significant heat source in this console area below the shifter to produce the types of temps I'm seeing. Beyond what you would feel coming out of a normal air vent.

Remember the heater core gets water from the engine coolant at engine temp. That temp could be over 200 degrees . So with the temp valve oopen and no fan it would be very hot at the heater core.

Another thought is the Exaust from the engine with the Converter is right there in the center of the car and running under the center that could be adding some heat

I will have to check it out more

@GBL - thanks for the input.

The cargo van doesn't have ducts beyond the dash area so nothing going below the seats.

there has to be a pretty significant heat source in this console area below the shifter to produce the types of temps I'm seeing. Beyond what you would feel coming out of a normal air vent.

yeah the heater core sits six inches away , dead center ,and is blowing the 200 degree air straight at the plastic housing , it's almost a perfect straight shot thru the lower console / dash

if you turn the temp control to the start of the red zone it doesn't get anywhere near as hot to touch

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for your input guys. seems like a faulty design and I wonder what the long terms affects would be on components in that area, aside from the safety issue. I tried running the heater with the temp setting as you say, right when it turns read and it still got pretty hot, but as you say not as hot if it was set on the full heat setting. I plan to show this to the local Ford dealer at some point cause I think it needs to be corrected in some way.

I have another sort of related thing, have you noticed that if you run your van for a while and then park with the engine off, when you restart the engine the temp gauge is almost right back at the same temp as a warmed up engine. I've gone down the beach and parked in cooler weather for 2-3 hours and this happens. Very strange. The radiator doesn't seem to cool off very quickly. Anyone else experience this?

Edited by windguy

Its the engine block , it will hold the heat for several hours, in fact if you get back to the car in 15 or 20 minutes it could be higher the temp fo the engine increases after the circulation of the water stops.

Its 15 degrees here right now briing it here and it will cool off pretty fast

Its the engine block , it will hold the heat for several hours, in fact if you get back to the car in 15 or 20 minutes it could be higher the temp fo the engine increases after the circulation of the water stops.

Its 15 degrees here right now briing it here and it will cool off pretty fast

thanks for the input. I don't recall that happening with previous cars,

15 deg - ouch. you've had a long winter. hope you get a little warm up this week