Ford Transit Connect Forum

Lights stay on for 10 MINUTES with a door open

• 4 weeks later...

Dead battery can happen. I parked on a Friday afternoon and was in and out of the car constantly. I had a side door open most of the time. Sunday night I had to jump start it. So I'm back to pushing the turn signal switch forward and back each time the corner lights come on. I hate this when I'm camping.

• 7 months later...
On 5/17/2016 at 3:30 PM, gargman said:

Agree, its anoying butna simple fix to the inside cargo light. I just popped it out and spliced in a toggle switch. There isn't much wire when you pull it out so be careful when you cut the wires to leave enough to splice it back into the terminals on the switch. then I just used Old Faithful, Gorilla Tape, and take it nice and neatly right back next to the light. it may not look OEM but it works perfect. I still however I'm annoyed at the fact that the parking lights stay on every time you open any door! I have not found a workaround for that.

Did you use any sort of special switch for this?

Which of the 2 wires did you splice to? 

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

2018 cargo light. FIrst.  The cargo light with led is bright. I will put inline a LED  12Vwired LED controller with a remote control. Second, The circuit may go under the dash. What I found is a connector Above the Right side passenger head. If you remove the Right side Black Foam part, behind it is the connector.   The wire follows in the door track to the Righ side dome light in the 18 XLT. If you are under the front headliner soundproofing you would need to disconnect that right side overhead plug. # I plan to break into that circuit and place a ON/OFF switch into the overhead plastic bin wall facing out. I may place a 12V USB port in the same area overhead. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/2/2015 at 12:06 PM, ADCHCrash said:

I can't believe I am the only person to complain about this "feature" but here goes. I just bought a 2015 Transit Connect XL (LWB) last Friday. I transport dogs in crates to dog shows (performance events, agiliy, frisbee, etc) so the cargo space in this tiny van is great for my purposes and so far I love it. When I got to shows, however, I will park in the shade, open the side doors and the back door and leave them open all day. I will also periodically come back to the car and sometimes have to open one or both of the front doors. For some reason Ford decided to have the front, rear, and interior lights come on when a door is open, and then all these lights stay on for 10 minutes. If you open another (different) door after the lights finally go out, they all come on again and your 10 minutes starts all over again.

There is some information about turning off the headlights when a door is open and I've done that, but there are still lights in the front head light and tail light assembly that come on and stay on, not to mention the LED light in the back cargo area which has no switch whatsoever associated with it (unlike every other vehicle in America).

I took it back to the dealer and was basically told I was SOL. Apparently this is programmed into the ECU and cannot be changed. Does anyone know if there is a workaround or way to change the behavior or the timing. Is no one else bothered by this "feature"?

Thanks!!

Amanda

pretty happy except for this one little thing....

I KNOW WTH!! I have the '14 Connect and when I open any door including the back the Headlights and taillights come on.. SERIOUSLY!! what other car does that and who needs that?? If anyone found a remedy please let me know...  

• 1 year later...

With the doors open & lights on, flash the high beam lever twice. A chirp is heard and the lights go out. Dome light is manually switched to “off”& cargo light is inop, so can’t vouch for those. Haven’t drained the battery camping or working out of it, since.