Ford Transit Connect Forum

OEM Trailer Hitch - Gen 2 TC

Sounds like your plan is coming together. When I lowered the tire to check my hitch clearance I saw the second cable . There is a long history of the lift cable on the under hung tires rusting and the tire dropping into the road . This leaves a nasty surprise for an up coming driver . It also is a bad surprise for the car owner when they have a

flat and have no Spare. It is a good change. I drop the Spare at least once a year to lube up the lift winch and cable.

Harbor freight has a very nice light small Aluminum floor jack that I keep on-board . it makes getting the car up much easier and when put under the hitch frame the

spare comes right out.

Can't wait for the pictures

@GBL - good input.

Curious, do you rotate the spare through when you rotate the tires?

With a regular steel wheel and wheel cover I assume that's possible. Not so with alu wheels.

Also assume the spare is the same model tire, I hadn't checked.

The Spare is the same and My TC has Alloys So I am going to Put the Spare on one of the Alloys and get 1 New Tire for Next Spring and Put them on the front.

21500 on the clock so I will get Next summer out of the tires . The Snow tires will go on in a week or so. Just waiting woud rather Burn up the summer tires as long as I can.

The Spare is the same and My TC has Alloys So I am going to Put the Spare on one of the Alloys and get 1 New Tire for Next Spring and Put them on the front.

21500 on the clock so I will get Next summer out of the tires . The Snow tires will go on in a week or so. Just waiting woud rather Burn up the summer tires as long as I can.

interesting. thanks.

I stopped by the local hitch shop today for a consult, story/saga below.

When I asked them if they can move the receiver tube back 1.5" he said they wouldn't rebuild an existing hitch because of liability issues.

I guess I can understand that reasoning. See the attached pic of all the hitches removed and ready for scrap pickup. Kind of artistic if you ask me. After I got home I called another hitch shop and they also said they couldn't modify an existing hitch because of liability but could create their own custom hitch.

The place I visited suggested to put on the original bumper and if I want a hitch they can make one. I thought he meant that they would weld something to the original bumper frame. So I hopped over to the Ford dealer and looked at the original bumper on the new TC's on the lot. The original bumper frame is a lot different than the trailer hitch bumper frame. The tube isn't as square and it's kind of flimsy looking and not very sturdy in my opinion. There's no way the hitch shop would be attaching anything to that. Also, the bumper cover would have to be removed if you want to take that off. It's more flush to the bumper cover than the hitch bumper frame so there's very little wiggle room. Not an option I would consider doing.

I called the hitch place back and he said they wouldn't use the original bumper. They would build a new hitch and attach it to the frame. That makes more sense. He said that would cost around $300 or so. Twice the price of a Curt hitch option so that's too costly. I asked if they can remove the hitch from the bumper frame that I have and he said that's doable for around $65 without having to remove the bumper to do the work. I'm guessing they would cut it off somehow. I think that's what poster GBL suggested earlier. I would lose the rear tow hook option if I do that but that's a risk I can live with. If I want to make the change, that might be my best solution and then I could get a Curt hitch if I need it in the future. Or just leave things as they are and dance around the thing for the next 20 years and perhaps figure out a way to pad it to provide some protection. One other thought was perhaps Ford would redesign this hitch option in the future to make it more flush to the bumper and then I could order that as a spare part (low probability of happening).

post-4138-0-13221800-1448312405_thumb.jp

Edited by windguy

You must live in California!

If you ever get the TC to vermont I will take care of it for you

If you do get it cut off make sure you save the part.

I am sure that somewhere in Ca there is a welding shop that can do the Job for you

that will be more than strong enough to handel a 2000 lb trailer with a 200lb vertical load.

I like the scrap pile there is alot of great stock for endlass prolects.

Keep us posted on your search

I added a hitch cover today to hopefully add a slight layer of protection.

Reese 2" Hitch Box Cover #74514 - $12.99 at Pep Boys.

Not as good as having the hitch flush to the bumper but better than bare metal, I'm hoping.

I mounted the cover upside down cause I think it looks a bit better that way. It's supposed to flop down when removed and held by its tether.

On the other side there is a small rubber flap to hold the connector, which is mounted elsewhere. I guess I can trim that piece off and then rotate it.

hitch cover

Edited by windguy

I have this Reese one with the Kurt harness package. It doesn't hang out much if at all, I can take a pic if needed. It's also Class 3/4 so regular size receiver. We towed a 2K lb U-Haul Virginia to Denver and back with no issues. Averaged 19mpg to boot running 70-75MPH

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-44702-Class-Square-Receiver/dp/B00J6ZI8YU/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Ford%7C54&Model=Transit%20Connect%7C16130&Year=2014%7C2014&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

And it looks good doing it!

transit2.jpg

Edited by Ccrew

@ccrew - thanks for posting. looks good.

I'd like to see how the hitch looks installed when you get a chance.

the picture of the Reese hitch Amazon looks very similar to the Curt hitch.

The factory trailer hitch for a Gen 2 is a Class I with a 2" receiver. 2,000 lb towing capacity and 200 lb tongue weight.

Even though your hitch is rated as a Class III I'm assuming you'd have to stay within the limits of a Class I hitch towing.

Windguy, here's a couple snaps. Forgive the dirty car, Black is a job not a color! Yeah, I'm aware of the weights, but I have no qualms running it to that limit because the Euro version of ours is rated higher and if you look at the GVRW we can't even pull 2Klbs. None of the math on this vehicle seems to work well. I can tell you it'll pull 2K with no effort at all until we hit the high plains of CO. I went Class 3/4 more to get the 2" receiver since about every Bike rack, cargo platform, and most accessories come in that size. I can go into a Walmart if I want and find a different ball drop, etc. Not so easy with the smaller mounts.

hitchtop.jpg

hitchside.jpg

@Ccrew - thanks for taking pics and posting.

nice job with the install. that's one beefy looking hitch you have but hold off on the tractor pulling contests.

from the top view, it seems to stick out a little bit, but not as much as the OEM hitch. maybe a little more than the Curt hitch.

seems like all receivers should be 2" to standardize. not familiar enough with them to know why they aren't.

re the paint, you're forgiven, funny about keeping the car looking good. never owned a dark colored car before.

I just washed my van last week before a road trip. First time since March and that was only a rinse then so really first time washing.

I like when you wash a new car the first few times because you get a good feel for the lines of the vehicle. sort of a bonding thing.

kind of side tracking, but I bought this step platform at Harbor Freight for $20 on sale and that made reaching the roof much easier. more surface area than a short step ladder.

http://www.harborfreight.com/step-stool-working-platform-66911.html

happy trailoring!