Ford Transit Connect Forum

Camper Conversion 6"2"

Do any of the Transit Connect's have enough room for a 6'2" individual to sleep? I am confused about the different wheelbase lengths and when the longer vans were first introduced?

welcome to the forum

I can only speak for the Gen 2 TC's - 2014-2015.

The LWB - Long Wheel Base version has about 7ft + from the rear doors to the back of center console. If the seats are moved all the way forward, you can pick up 6 or so inches of more space. I'm 6-2 as well and plan to do some light camping in my van at some point, so plenty of room for that. Very comfortable driving with lots of headroom, the most I've ever had so that's a nice plus. Stop by a Ford dealer that has the TC's in stock and bring your pillow along. The only issue for camping is lack of ventilation in the cargo area if you get the van model (no rear seats). None of the optional windows open, just the two front ones.

The first generation will work also. I'm not saying there is a lot of room to spare, but I can lie in mine and I'm a bit over 6' 2''. Back seat must be removed of course and and front seat pushed all the way forward. Same issue with ventilation remains.

Edited by Willie

Do a search here. There was post with ALL the dimensions in a brochure for customizers. Body builders layout book. Just checked the title on my copy. I'm looking at using a SWB for some camping using a platform to stow gear under and a double bed air mattress. The air mattress will overhang a little and I'll have to lay the front passenger seat down for my feet ;(

welcome to the forum

I can only speak for the Gen 2 TC's - 2014-2015.

The LWB - Long Wheel Base version has about 7ft + from the rear doors to the back of center console. If the seats are moved all the way forward, you can pick up 6 or so inches of more space. I'm 6-2 as well and plan to do some light camping in my van at some point, so plenty of room for that. Very comfortable driving with lots of headroom, the most I've ever had so that's a nice plus. Stop by a Ford dealer that has the TC's in stock and bring your pillow along. The only issue for camping is lack of ventilation in the cargo area if you get the van model (no rear seats). None of the optional windows open, just the two front ones.

That's the one turn off for me. It's something that I would have to live with though or find a solution.

That's the one turn off for me. It's something that I would have to live with though or find a solution.

IF you go for the cargo van, put in a roof vent. Otherwise get the wagon model, the side door windows fully open. Use some reflectix or blackout curtains on the windows.

adding a vent for the cargo area was discussed in the this thread

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/2769-cargo-area-vent/

In summary, the Gen 1 van is taller and adding a 14"x 14" fantastic fan type vent would be less visible.

With the Gen 2 van being 9 or so inches less in height, a vent of this type would be very visible and I'm not sure how good that would look.

It would be the best functional optional but I'd be a little worried about its appearance since it's a decent looking van.

The smaller Ventline Vanair might be a less obtrusive solution. To me it looks more like some type of satellite antenna.

The only down side is that it doesn't move as much air. It would be great if this model had some type of solar option to power it.

Its not appearance that bothers me. Its cutting a hole in the roof. My experience with such roof vents is that they may be fine for a long time, but will eventually develop leaks. I'd do it on an old beater van, but not on my comparatively new TC. Another factor is the corrugated roof. I suspect, this will complicate the sealing of any roof opening. My preference would be if someone made a replacement back window with a flip-open feature. Of course it would probably cost a small fortune even if available.

Its not appearance that bothers me. Its cutting a hole in the roof. My experience with such roof vents is that they may be fine for a long time, but will eventually develop leaks. I'd do it on an old beater van, but not on my comparatively new TC. Another factor is the corrugated roof. I suspect, this will complicate the sealing of any roof opening. My preference would be if someone made a replacement back window with a flip-open feature. Of course it would probably cost a small fortune even if available.

I agree that cutting into the roof of a new van is daunting and getting it sealed properly with the roof design would be a challenge.

venting the hot air at the roof would be most efficient way to keep the van cool and well vented.

I sure wish there was an easy solution to this. might have to pull out the 3-D blackboard to figure out something

Edited by windguy

• 8 months later...

I just wonder .... there are two rubber flaps by the 3rd brake lite in my 2010 . And vent looking grills inside on the "D" pillar . I bet a 12v computer fan would pull air out thru those flaps ???? Air probably gets drawn thru when the van is moving .

• 3 months later...

European Connect has a folding front passenger seat. Folds flat and level with deck to extend cargo area to the dash. I bought one from Germany.

Not all EU TC do, I have a rigid bulkhead and the passenger seat is identical to the other one since there is no need to fold it.

• 4 months later...