Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

windguy

Rear License Plate Mounting

got my plates today and after cinching down the rear one the bottom flares away from the body.

maybe it's just me but I'd rather this plate lay flat against the door panel.

perhaps adding a spacer would help to prevent this. anyone else do something like this to their Gen 2 TC?

thanks

it took two pics to show the rear plate.

side view shows how it flairs out at the bottom.

when you look at the back view it seems that the plate area was designed more for a Euro plate that is wide and narrow and not for the size of a US plate.

one option is to raise the plate a few inches by drilling two new holes in the plate so it sits nicely in the plate area. We'll see how much it bugs me.

post-4138-0-44664100-1422755429_thumb.jp

post-4138-0-53215500-1422755440_thumb.jp

drilled another set of holes in the rear license plate, about 1-1/4" lower and remounted the plate higher so that it now sits inside the recessed area around the plate. left about a 3/16" gap between the top of the plate and the black plastic above it.

also added a strip of Black High-Density Rubber Foam Weatherstrip Tape to the top edge of the plate so the metal doesn't touch the paint.

I think it looks better and the extra set of holes in the plate don't seem to be an issue. see the BEFORE and AFTER pics below.

BEFORE

rear license plate 01

AFTER

rear license plate 03a

Edited by windguy

Euro plate holder backplate is usually made of holes in different positions so you can mount it any way possible in pretty much 10 mm steps. How's yours?

numbrialus-must.jpg

Euro plate holder backplate is usually made of holes in different positions so you can mount it any way possible in pretty much 10 mm steps. How's yours?

numbrialus-must.jpg

American plates

@mrtn ...my 2014 US model van just has two threaded inserts in the door for the plate to attach .

I mounted a camera there too that looks at the trailer hitch , makes hook ups easy peasy.

American plates

I understand, here's a plate holder with multiple mounting points for American cars (which I have on my TC):

US_alus_v.jpg

Thats exactly what is needed now jist have to find one Thanks Mrtn

Mine came with a foam rubber backing to prevent my plate from bouncing & rattling, and to protect the paint.  Perhaps it's unique to the 2016.

On 3/15/2015 at 3:23 PM, windguy said:

drilled another set of holes in the rear license plate, about 1-1/4" lower and remounted the plate higher so that it now sits inside the recessed area around the plate. left about a 3/16" gap between the top of the plate and the black plastic above it.

also added a strip of Black High-Density Rubber Foam Weatherstrip Tape to the top edge of the plate so the metal doesn't touch the paint.

I think it looks better and the extra set of holes in the plate don't seem to be an issue. see the BEFORE and AFTER pics below.

Yup. I've done that for multiple vehicles.  It's pretty inexpensive and can be found at any hardware store.

s-l300.jpg

The OEM license plate holes are threaded.  

Part No. 

W702222-S300

It is actually a rivet nut which is 6 sided.  The OEM hole is a 6 sided hole.